VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
12,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We (like many) dream of being free of the rat race ....... you know the score .......work,bath,bed....work,bath,bed etc etc day in day out . :(

We are both in our early forties, hate the cold and love travelling....so much so that we have both just jacked our jobs in and are flying off to Oz for a couple of months this winter to get away from it all.

Been saving our pennies for a while and now we have a choice .

A) Blow it on a new van and spend as many weekends as possible escaping to different places to get us away from the norm.

B) Chuck the money at the mortgage , get it paid off quicker ,sell up and ship off to somewhere new and exciting.

C) Buy a cheaper older van , do the weekend thing for the time being and plan the escape for a few more years further down the line ?

·
Registered
12,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Which ever way we decide i think we are have to stay in england for the next 2 - 3 years anyway but its nice to have a goal to aim for ;)

·
Registered
3,536 Posts
I was gonna say option b. but seeings as it won't be for 2 or three years, it's now option c. T: best of both worlds then, can do the van thing, and still have you're goal to look forward too. All the best with itT:

·
Registered
8,736 Posts
Option C.

Buy an older van, do it up, have loads of weekends/weeks away, do it up in between enjoying it.

2 to 3 years later, sell it for a profit - original cost + SVAT (scene value added tax) and use cash for time in OZT:

can I come with youI:

·
Registered
12,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yep spanners , pack your speedo's mate so long as you can fit it my hand luggage and keep quiet while in the overhead locker for a good few hours. :D

Oz is already paid for , this is outside of all that ;)

·
Registered
12,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
But wherever you go you will be taking your head with you
Yep i'm aware that i'm never gonna live on an island in the sun full of nympho's :blg , this is reality and everywhere has its ups,downs ,problems and day to day chores that need to be done but just a new challenge and a warmer climate would be a big step forward . ...and something exciting to look forward to most of all

When i was a kid it was drilled into me at school that unless you work like a dog and made something of yourself then your life would never be rosey but after working in well paid jobs in the past and having no time off to enjoy the fruits of my labour i have decided that life aint all about that for me .

QUALITY of life is far more important to me now .

I dont aspire to be a millionaire.

If i have to scrape boat hulls for a living but can live in the sun with my missus and enjoy the simple things then that wins hands down over cash in the bank .

·
Premium Member
3,763 Posts
just get away when your in your 80 s talking about the good old days it wont be material things you talk about it ll be fun times ,I know its not a good answer but I ve always worked a 12 hour day 5 sometimes 7 days a week my biggest regret is never getting out and seeing the world :)

·
Registered
172 Posts
We had a similar dilemma to this about seven years ago. When the kids left home, we downsized the house and could have paid off the mortgage on the smaller house. Instead, we decided to jack our jobs, rent the new house out and backpacked round the world for a year. It was very easy to do and it was the best decision we have made in our life.

My advice is do it now, there is no guarantee that you will be healthy enough or even still breathing to do it later. I was 50 when we did it and the hardest part was coming home, we found jobs easy enough but the reality of going back to work came hard for a while.

·
Registered
12,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Pay down your mortgage, its good to get a millstone from around your neck...

Do you not have a bus already ?/QUOTE]

Nope, been looking, saving and going to the shows for best part of i'year now.

We do a fair bit of camping and had an estate car but i started looking at replacing it with something a little newer......this is when i started looking at buses.

Always loved buses and bugs but never thought i'd see myself driving one ....until now.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Bit confused by option B? What's the logic of paying the mortgage off if your going to sell up anyway, house will be worth what is worth no matter if you pay more off or not, at least keeping the funds back you retain some cash to use elsewhere in the meantime.

I'd go with 'C' definitely get more pleasure putting your own touches into an older van & even with maintenance I strongly believe there's more chance of catastrophic bills with the newer high pressure engines, plus as already stated you should re-coupe most of the money or even make a profit, and don't suffer depreciation of a newer vehicle.T:

·
Banned
10,253 Posts
Nope, been looking, saving and going to the shows for best part of i'year now.

We do a fair bit of camping and had an estate car but i started looking at replacing it with something a little newer......this is when i started looking at buses.

Always loved buses and bugs but never thought i'd see myself driving one ....until now.
In that case definitely pay more off the mortgage as if you take the advise off some of these chaps and buy an older bus you'll never have any money ( it's not by chance that when new folk join the forum there is a resounding chorus of "welcome to the money pit")... :/ Just saying I:

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Pay the mortgage off.
Best thing I ever did. Obviously you would still have to work, but that would be the case with anywhere you went. You wouldn't have the financial pressure though.
Once that pressure has gone, the way you look at life changes, you may feel that you don't need to bu**er off to another country.
Grass is all ways greener and all that.....

:)

·
Registered
285 Posts
I'd raise a 25% deposit and buy a cheap rental, let a management company look after it for you so you have no hassles.

I'd do this for a few reasons.

1. Someone else is paying your mortgage for you.
2. If you do emigrate, its always good to have somewhere to come back to should you decide too. (I know a few who have done just this, but had nothing to come back too and are stuck in rented accommodation as they cant afford a deposit!)
3. House prices are on the up, so if you buy smart you'll make money. If you don't you could come back with house prices 25% more than when you left.
4. There is high demand for rentals.

Sell your residential property, go and have some fun and if your settled then sell in the UK fully. T:

·
Premium Member
2,549 Posts
I'd raise a 25% deposit and buy a cheap rental, let a management company look after it for you so you have no hassles.

I'd do this for a few reasons.

1. Someone else is paying your mortgage for you.
2. If you do emigrate, its always good to have somewhere to come back to should you decide too. (I know a few who have done just this, but had nothing to come back too and are stuck in rented accommodation as they cant afford a deposit!)
3. House prices are on the up, so if you buy smart you'll make money. If you don't you could come back with house prices 25% more than when you left.
4. There is high demand for rentals.

Sell your residential property, go and have some fun and if your settled then sell in the UK fully. T:
Agree with above, look at the figures...

·
Registered
12,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks everybody for your thoughts on this , tis much appreciated .

I can see that chucking money at the mortgage makes good financial sense as it reduces the amount of interest paid back and in turn reduces overall payments which means more dough to do what we want to do .

Spoken with the missus about this tonight and she loves the idea of owning a bus but thinks maybe not a new one at this moment in time maybe makes more sense as a few others have suggested we get the best of both worlds without throwing all our money into the one pot.

So with that in mind i shall be looking at buses up for sale around the 10k mark and putting the rest into paying the mortgage off sooner rather than later .

Thanks again guys , nice to discuss things and get an unbiased view on the situation ;)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts