VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just thought that I would pop this in as it may be of interest especially for the off grid wild campers.

The what3words app is commonly used by emergency services worldwide. To explain it in brief, the whole wold has been mapped down to roughly 3 metre squares, each square has its own lable using 3 words. If you were to have an accident and needed help, you would open the app and the app will give you the 3 words of where you are, simply relay this to emergency operator and you will be found.

More breakdown companies are using the app, if you breakdown, phone the AA or whoever, give them the three words and you will be found.

If you download the app and type shame.gobbles.plenty You can then hit navigate it will take you to one of my favourite camp sites. Give it a go, its not just UK, its worldwide.

·
Registered
3,654 Posts
I have the app incase I come off my bike in the woods because the emergency services use it as well
But i camp on proper camp sites (y)

·
Registered
822 Posts
NO NO NO

The world is already broken up into findable bits, but done with numbers, a much more logical idea.
What`s to the left of Apple Carrot Bikini ?
God knows.
What`s to the left of 60.30.27 ?

Don`t buy into this modern stupidity.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Personally I'd rather use what3words than a set of numerical coordinates any time, but ultimately, and as ever, each to their own...

Sent from my G8141 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I realise that there has always been co ordinates also map references but not everybody understands this and the what3words simplifys the system. Say for example a meet up with family at a beauty spot is going ahead, rather than say set sat nav to this post code then take the second track on the right after the rose and crown, you can just give the three words and get correct.

Why not buy into something that saves lives too? infact, you dont even buy into it, its free!

·
Full of Cr*p....
9,487 Posts
"Why not buy into something that saves lives too? infact, you dont even buy into it, its free! "

It's NOT free.....
My 18 year old Nokia is a 'PHONE!
I don't have Twinternet on it....it struggles with Bluetooth.
My Garmin works fine...and the map updates ARE free.

I won't lose any sleep, I think I see enough morons walking around all day, looking at their 'phones whilst not paying any attention to anything else.

There's another advantage of "Old School".
My GPS and my Nokia both sit on my dashboard, 24/7, in plain sight, and the van is very rarely locked. (Guessing about 8 times a year.....otherwise it's 2m from the main road in my drive.)
Thief looks in, thinks "Can't be bothered" and walks away.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The app is free, the phone may not be but if you like old tech, no problem carry on with it.

All I was trying to do was to spread the word. One of my jobs is working as a firefighter and we use the what3words a lot, sometimes a call will come in and the address is totally wrong, by using the what3words we can ensure that other oncoming vehicles such as further fire, ambulance and police can get there quickly. As such we will always spread the word when possible as we would like it to be a commonly used app.

I never realised that people could be so objectionable for something that is so simple and could save a life.

·
Registered
190 Posts
What3words IS free @Or_GazM but what you use it with will be subject to a charge same as your Nokia and your "free" updates that you might need to download.
As I said earlier, Each to their own...

·
Full of Cr*p....
9,487 Posts
All this "High-Tech".......from people driving T4s...... :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Almost as bad as the questions that used to appear asking about the "best TV/DVD player" to fit in a T4.
The answer should have been "a leather bound book"....keep it authentic.o_O

·
Registered
190 Posts
"High-Tech" is good @Or_GazM no matter what you drive

·
Full of Cr*p....
9,487 Posts
@fwd
I hope you've read every post in this thread:

Will give you something to do......whilst in a 20+ year old van. (You could read it on your 'phone whilst driving. :ROFLMAO: )

·
Premium Member
2,362 Posts
There were 5 canadians lost in Glen Coe in bad weather about 3 years ago, they owe their life to this app and the fact they fortunatly had a phone signal.

·
Registered
190 Posts
@fwd
I hope you've read every post in this thread:

Will give you something to do......whilst in a 20+ year old van. (You could read it on your 'phone whilst driving. )
Tut tut @Or_GazM didn't you know that playing with your mobile while driving is illegal
I'll look at the link you've posted as I did experiment with a couple of early RasPs many years ago, as a matter of fact I took one of them off of the back of an early LCD display recently when the panel failed.
Those were the days my friend... as Mary Hopkins beautifully sang

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Sorry but I can only assume that a raspberry pi is some sort of gadget but it just brings up the image of something that I would eat. I am not a techy person by any means, I can manage an ipad and the phone but equally I have never read any book in my life and I dont feel that I have missed out.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Sorry to derail this thread, it's @Or_GazM fault
Yes it is a *** packet sized gadget capable of unlimited functions via unlimited add ons.

Back to what3words... yes, a brilliant concept that is fast gaining support and praised by rescue services.

Maybe WE can start a new sticky and share campsite and favourite locations by using w3w addresses, can even find and park up next to friends and fellow T4/T5 users

·
Registered
190 Posts
That was supposed to be the slang *** (cigarette) packet that got censored

·
Full of Cr*p....
9,487 Posts
Amazing what the "swear filter" removes!
That is NOT something I can be blamed for, as for "going off topic"...I'm always there. :whistle:

I've built well over 300 computers in the last few years, (many for the doctors/surgeons at LGI who couldn't off the shelf ones for their needs), but the only one in my van is a 20 year old, XP, laptop with VCDS on it....lives under the rear seat.

Oh, and i-Pad or 'phones do not respond to my fingers.
50 years of electrical shocks from 120 - 125,000 volts have left them "non-responsive" for touch screens.....hence, even my latest G4 'phone, still has to have buttons on it.

·
Registered
822 Posts
There were 5 canadians lost in Glen Coe in bad weather about 3 years ago, they owe their life to this app and the fact they fortunatly had a phone signal.
But thats not true.
They`ve got a phone signal, they`ve got a location. Thats what enabled their lives to be saved.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts