VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
After a quick visit into Thetford forest, I discovered a new noise. A nasty rattle had developed but only on tickover, slight touch of the fast pedal and the noise goes away! My wife shouts out over the noise that the van is going to blow up, nah says me, it will be a bearing, I will take it into work and take a look.

Well today was the earliest day that I could get my own in as we are very busy and I hate working in my own as I dont get paid for that.

Off comes the under tray and off comes the auxiliary belt, noise still there so off come bottem pulley and it shows its ugly truth. Someone had put a cambelt on just before I bought it about 18 months ago and also put a new bottom pulley on, if you take a look at the pics you can see that the pulley for the cam belt has a little pin stuck out, this pin should line up with a hole in the pulley but someone had put the pulley on at about a quarter of a turn out resulting in the pin breaking off a small chunk out of the pulley, this I guess caused some vibration eventually causing the pulley to fail.

All sorted and new pulley on, my wallet is now about £90 lighter but the van lives on so happy days.

Pics and story just for info and to let folks know that if you have a noise, investigate it sooner rather than later as we all know what would happen if the pulley had come off.
Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle brake Tire Hood

Tire Wheel Motor vehicle Automotive tire Light

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Vehicle brake Tread

Attachments

·
Registered
496 Posts
Are you sure it was that pin being offset? That would have caused a massive wobble in the crank pulley when you bought it. I can see the rubber between the two pulley halves has broken away indicating it's just had its day. I reckon the separate parts have been smashing together, and those cylinders 90deg from the pin holes look like they're breaking away from their mounting points and that's what's caused the metal to break off. You can see alignment pin hole is elongated and the inner plate is offset from the inner bolt holes.

It looks like you've got a revised pulley where total failure would result in just the fanbelt falling off rather than the earlier one taking out your cambelt - good catch though. Most people would just carry on until the noise stopped and failure was imminent. Great pictures, it'll give us all an idea of what happens when all of ours fail too!

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think that the pin out of line is correct as we were very carefull taking the pulley off and keeping the orientation since the piece of metal dropped out after the Ftight bolt was released. We wanted to be sure of matching the metal shard to a problem not yet seen. Tippex can be a good thing sometimes 😎

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Also worth pointing out that one of the smapller bolts, the one at the 12 position was on its way out into the big wide world, the other 3 were tight.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The hands…….. well not too bad these days but I can find dirt and oil anywhere, never been afraid to get into the dirt and muck. When I was a little kiddie, there were 4 of us and my mother always says that when she was gettingnus ready to go out, she would sort me out last, because if she got me ready first, by the time the other 3 were sorted, I would be dirty again😂

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oh yes… good times, my mother was a saint as I was always bringing home injured squirrels or crows that couldnt fly and stuff like that, she never refused them entry. I know that modern technology is a good thing but I am glad that we never had it if you know what I mean.

·
Registered
487 Posts
I do know exactly what you mean, dont know how much of it is being 'old fashioned' but there's no comparison to what kids used to be as to what they are now.
Worlds gone mad I tell ya.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
“It looks like you've got a revised pulley where total failure would result in just the fanbelt falling off rather than the earlier one taking out your cambelt - good catch though. Most people would just carry on until the noise stopped and failure was imminent. Great pictures, it'll give us all an idea of what happens when all of ours fail too!”

Hearing of some folks bolt snapping saga’s I did a bit of a check. The four cap head set screws attach the black pulley to the cog cam belt pulley and the big bolt in the middle holds the whole lot into the crankshaft. If the four set screws broke then it would be no real problem but if the big bolt snapped, the whole assembly would be coming off very quickly.

The torque on the big bolt is set at 160nm plus 180 degrees (half a turn) that is real tight in fact even for a big bolt, I think too much and no wonder it has been known to snap.

·
Full of Cr*p....
10,736 Posts
I think you have to refer to them as "Upcoming adults of neutral gender".
Lads'n'Lassies is also banned I hear.

It was a major change to the forum when "Female" members were allowed to say something!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts