VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up my new-to-me T4 Caravelle. (The power! The quiet ride! The air-con! Oh, this is bliss after my old T4 800-not-all-that-Special.)

Thing is, I want to carry 2 bikes regularly (4 bikes occasionally) on the tailgate.

Saw a fantastic rack today but close inspection showed it had a ££VW ££part ££number. Probably can't afford one of those, then.

So, can anyone advise what is the best, most hassle-free, smartest-looking tailgate bike rack out there, please? Without spending really big money?

Cheers,
Ian.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Fiamma are generally regarded as the best. If you have the rear tailgate spoiler thingy on the back like i have it will be difficult to find anything to fit straight out of the box.

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
And if you do have the annoying spoiler at the top of the tailgate and no tow bar what would be peoples suggestions for the best solution.

·
Premium Member
149 Posts
Fiamma here too, it's a 4 bike rack I got via eBay for £100. Despite being second hand I'm impressed with the finish and quality. Bikes take seconds to load and it looks okay when not being used and folded away.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks all.

I bought a Fiamma (packaged as a "Reimo" but it's identical apart from being cheaper). I wouldn't call it pretty but it is a delight to use compared to the nasty Thule one I used to have. Requires only about a minute to load two bikes. Recommended.

Here's a trick to make your bikes less wobbly on the back: use elastic bands or double-sided Velcro around one of the brake levers. The locked wheel totally prevents the bikes moving left-and-right on the racks.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I use a Maxx Raxx - it holds 2 bikes but can be adapted to hold 4.

Fits on towbar with no tools (once the bracket has been fitted) & easy to remove

It is possible to lean the rack & bikes backwards to open the tailgate without taking the bikes off, not sure if it works on tailgate as my van has barn doors

Main reason for choosing it, was that it fits very ell with unicycles - probably not a requirement for many!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts