VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I've recently acquired some 16" x 7 audi rims for my t4. I've been looking in to tyre sizes and it seems that a few different sizes will fit! I'm considering 225/60/16 or 215/60/16 as these figures have cropped up most in searches.

I was wondering what the main advantages/disadvantages of each size was? Looks, ride, handling, scrubbing, etc, etc....

Thanks in advance!

·
jabby fingered, worn nubbed, ginger ninja
12,080 Posts
The 215 205 measurement is the width of the tyre. Depending on the width of the wheel you will get either stretched straight or bulged sides.

The 60 is a height measurement of the side wall based on a percentage of the tyre width AFAIK

·
Registered
59 Posts
The 215 205 measurement is the width of the tyre. Depending on the width of the wheel you will get either stretched straight or bulged sides.

The 60 is a height measurement of the side wall based on a percentage of the tyre width AFAIK
...Is correct. So a 215/60 will have slightly higher sidewalls than a 205/60, and hence a slightly greater overall diameter, affecting(slightly) gearing and speedo reading. To get a feel for the impact, and also to see how a change in offset will move the wheel in and out, have a play with this...

http://willtheyfit.com

·
Registered
59 Posts
I would guess that the handling differences between a 205 and a 215 would be marginal. Generally a lower profile tyre will have a lower sidewall, which will tend to be stiffer and absorb less of the irregularities of the road surface. But if the two tyres are the same profile, and only 10mm different in tread width, I reckon you'd be hard pushed to tell the difference unless you're the Stig.
If you've got wheels with a smaller offset than the originals, ie stick out more, then a narrower tyre width may start to help with clearance on a sliding door.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts