VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
which headlights?

hi all,
i am looking to fit a pair of Carevelle headlights to my van. My local parts dealer can get a pair for £100 but i have found two different ones on-line that to me look the same but what's the difference in these headlights? bar the price ;)
also why the hell are they so much more than this 2nd hand if there so much cheaper new :* ????

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Neither are OEM, however when I asked euro parts the same question they told me the more expensive one was OEM standard.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
cool thanks, but still what's the difference? i will want to put zenon kit on them, what did you get?

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Neither. I bought a new OEM passenger side one from eBay at a knock down price and then the drivers side one from VW at a discount price from SMG in Cowfold who do a discount for California owners club VIP members (don't have to own a Cali) it came to just over £200 for genuine ones. Just got to get them fitted now.

I chose genuine ones as wasn't sure like you which to go for then I saw the discounted one on eBay and thought to hell with it...

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Some come with the electronic leveling motor inside and some don't, this may explain the price variance?
if the proper ones come with it then surly I will just want the cheaper ones as there's less to go wrong and surly much cheaper bulbs? Or am being stupid? Like normal :p

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Neither. I bought a new OEM passenger side one from eBay at a knock down price and then the drivers side one from VW at a discount price from SMG in Cowfold who do a discount for California owners club VIP members (don't have to own a Cali) it came to just over £200 for genuine ones. Just got to get them fitted now.

I chose genuine ones as wasn't sure like you which to go for then I saw the discounted one on eBay and thought to hell with it...
cool thanks :) I have been looking for months for oem ones on eBay but no luck :(
How much were they through vw with your discount?

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Do the genuine California ones come with the bulb fittings? I mean whats involved in doing the swap. My lights are b***y awful!
its simple enough if you don't mind taking the whole front of you van off, which I don't :cool:
As for wires, all you have to put in is a relay so the lights work legally on low and hi beam.
Bar that they just bolt in
Go and get a copy of November isue Volkswagen Driver magazine, page 57-59 has a full wright up on it :)
Oh and page 54 has my van :D

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
when i asked in ECP they told me the more expensive ones come with bulbs, the cheaper ones dont..... factor in the cost of bulbs, the cheaper ones work out more expensive
Check first as their catalog description is wrong

·
Registered
7,548 Posts
I bought & fitted the "Caravellalike" Depo ones - probably not quite as good as OEM, but a huge improvement over the standard van units - shop around & you can get them for a good price. (They do come with levelling motors).

Only problem I had was that the clips that hold the bulbs in were a little weak, but a bit of tweaking with the pliars solved that one.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts