VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't intend to post too many questions as its all probably been asked already but…

We saw a LWB diesel today. Despite my lack of knowledge i did at least get underneath for a poke about.
Towards the front[underneath] there was a curved pressed plate. It sat to the rear of the sump maybe about level with the front wheel arches.
It seemed to be secured at the back but you could push it up at the front. There were two tabs going from this plate into hoes in the body. Something on the ends of the tabs stopped this plate from falling out. It didn't seem to make any noise while we were test driving it.
Can anyone tell me what this plate is and whether it should be loose?
Sorry for the fuzzy description.
Marko

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
ENGINE TRAY?

If thats what it it then its to stop **** flying up and hittin yer belts and all that expensive gubbins!

Its loose at the front cos thats where it flaps down (hinged at the back)

Do a search for engine tray here and have a looksy T:

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
The plate stops water and muck getting up onto the otherwise exposed belts. Mine didn't have one for the first 3 years I had it, but the belts were squealing within days of tightening, deglazing, etc. Managed to get a plate and guess what? No squealing! I:

Didn't help that I have to drive through a ford (no, not the Sierra sort!) twice every day. I:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts