VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The tyres on my Facelift camper are about shot, still running the original 16" steel wheels which i hate with a passion, so i can't bring myself to put £300 worth of new tyres on them. Can't afford any original VW alloys I like at the moment, so the next best/cheapest option is a set of 17" steels with goodyear cargo vectors from MarkVW. Like the look of them and still keep the camper OEM which is important for the insurance. But what do they ride like, better/worse than the 16" continentals on at the moment.
The cargos are listed as an all weather tyre, so will be good for the winter, but does the open pattern make them noisy?
I guess they will look ok on a van thats not lowered at all?

Thanks

Phil

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Phil,
I have just changed from 16" to 17" but running continental vanco. Road noise has reduced dramatically and because 17" are 7j they feel more responsive to the road. I know there not the tire you stated but are van tyres and rated the same. Hope this help your decision. It's a good move if you do change over I'm my opinion, have you thought of the sanded route you can take with the 17".

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Speak to your insurance company, mine happily let me put 20" wheels on mine with extra load tyres

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
The tyres on my Facelift camper are about shot, still running the original 16" steel wheels which i hate with a passion, so i can't bring myself to put £300 worth of new tyres on them. Can't afford any original VW alloys I like at the moment, so the next best/cheapest option is a set of 17" steels with goodyear cargo vectors from MarkVW. Like the look of them and still keep the camper OEM which is important for the insurance. But what do they ride like, better/worse than the 16" continentals on at the moment.
The cargos are listed as an all weather tyre, so will be good for the winter, but does the open pattern make them noisy?
I guess they will look ok on a van thats not lowered at all?

Thanks

Phil
loads better,comfy aswell,glad we did it over a year ago now,and they seem to last for ever,yet still give really good grip and road holding.T:T:

·
Super Moderator
5,174 Posts
Put mine on last year for the snow that only lasted for a few daysI:

Still running them and they take site conditions and potholes really wellT:

Excellent grip in the wet and like buggygirl says tyre tread still has loads left.
Got mine from Markvw too.
Only gripe is at low speeds they can sound like an old land rover which sounds like a humming wheel bearing but that's all.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts