VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our little van of horrors has yet another problem, and i think this is the cause
It is on the rear side of the wheel ... hub (??)
The rubber boot thing is perished and I can see grease and the metal behind it.

It "clunks" over potholes, bumps in the road etc.

I need to use my van all through this week, but I'm guessing this is going to get worse the more I drive it?

What I need basically is the name of the part and the joint so I can ring the bloke I bought it from and tell him what it is!

many thanks..until the next episode :rolleyes:

·
Registered
588 Posts
Looks like a steering ball-joint. To test for play, get some one to move steering left to right (small turns) put hand on ball-joint, if you can feel movement or a knocking then its gonna need replaciing. Simple enough job with the right tolls. Hope I was looking at the right part. :ILU:

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Looks like a steering ball-joint. To test for play, get some one to move steering left to right (small turns) put hand on ball-joint, if you can feel movement or a knocking then its gonna need replaciing. Simple enough job with the right tolls. Hope I was looking at the right part. :ILU:
ok thanks, when i go back out i'll take some better quality photos with a decent camera, maybe it will be clearer then.

·
Registered
229 Posts
it is easy to do your self, if you have a splitter tool.

a little heat into the bottom swing arm will help, and hitting it will certainly not. if a splitter dont work you may need to put a pulling tool over the swing arm, against the stud (on bottom of ball joint) and pull/push the ball up out the bottom. it will go with a pop!

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
it is easy to do your self, if you have a splitter tool.

a little heat into the bottom swing arm will help, and hitting it will certainly not. if a splitter dont work you may need to put a pulling tool over the swing arm, against the stud (on bottom of ball joint) and pull/push the ball up out the bottom. it will go with a pop!
sounds like a job for someone other than me.. this is something that should have been correct when we bought it, so he will fix it.

many thanks all

·
Registered
11,100 Posts
did you not have some driveshaft work done recently ???? you have to pop this out to remove the driveshaft,the mechanic would have used a ball joint splitter and in doing so has burst the rubber-so it maybe wasnt u/s before but they have made it u/s

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
did you not have some driveshaft work done recently ???? you have to pop this out to remove the driveshaft,the mechanic would have used a ball joint splitter and in doing so has burst the rubber-so it maybe wasnt u/s before but they have made it u/s
ahh yeah, we did have the drive shaft done. wicked, he did that too, so it's definitely down to him to get it sorted.
Brilliant thanks for that mate.

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Bottom ball joints can be a sod to remove without the right tool.. looks like somone had a go at changing it using a ball joint fork and couldn't get it out. In the process this has split the rubber on the ball joint. If you can borrow a puller it is a really easy job. Get a pair of Meyle bottom ball joints and do both sides (they are less than half the price of genuine ones from VW) and come with 2 year guaruntee. Brickwerks stock them and cost about £20 a side.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Bottom ball joints can be a sod to remove without the right tool.. looks like somone had a go at changing it using a ball joint fork and couldn't get it out. In the process this has split the rubber on the ball joint. If you can borrow a puller it is a really easy job. Get a pair of Meyle bottom ball joints and do both sides (they are less than half the price of genuine ones from VW) and come with 2 year guaruntee. Brickwerks stock them and cost about £20 a side.
my problem is not only do I not have the tools or knowledge, I also park on a road, no garage or off-road space to do it.
Matey who we bought it from will fix it, but thank you for the information anyway :)

·
Registered
4,846 Posts
the last guy is right its the bottom ball joint.. ive had owned 5 or 6 t4s and every van ive owned has had to have this bottom ball joint replaced the guy i use for any work like this really struddled with the first one i gave him but now he can do them no problems... but really would not attemt it myself.. bottom ball on my polo was hard enough for me to do never mind a two and half ton van.. the difrence in stearing and overall feel of the front end is awesome there like a new motor with these replaced.. but would not go for the parts from brickworks would stick with vw parts as they are well better quality.. you get what you pay for but dont want to pay twice as i did with cheap replica parts...

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
but would not go for the parts from brickworks would stick with vw parts as they are well better quality.. you get what you pay for but dont want to pay twice as i did with cheap replica parts...
Brickwerks stock Meyle parts.. these are a german company who make reproduction parts that come with a 2 year guaruntee. Do VW give you a 2 year guaruntee on parts like ball joints??

1 - 12 of 12 Posts