VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone else noticed that supermarket fuel is rubbish! I used to go to the supermarkets to save a penny or two per litre thinking I was saving money!!! After having a go at the 600 club on moggys fuel I was close! But on esso the economy is much better, I think I'll get 50-70miles more per tank and should easily make the 600 club. I must add this is my 2nd tank of esso, so all the supermarket rubbish is flushed out. :ILU:

·
Registered
4,875 Posts
I think I'll get 50-70miles more per tank and should easily make the 600 club.:
:eek::eek::eek: i think there would be a huge rush for esso if you think that is the case, but in my opinion more like better running engine but the mpg difference would be minimal T:

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Maybe! But I'd love someone else to test it out! I thought I noticed a difference in my old van but I've really started to take notice now.

·
Premium Member
3,166 Posts
Wish I had Esso down here then..T:

·
Registered
4,319 Posts
Its been discussed before. I dont know the ins and outs but some say is better and some say its exactly the same stuff as its all from the same depot and its only the badge on the side of the tanker that is different.

Theres also some mention of additives being introduced once at the garage - who knows.

I use BP as its near and I get Nectar points I: and its only a 1p more than mozzers - about 60p difference a tank

·
Registered
833 Posts
Local Esso now price matches (and is sometimes cheaper) than the local Morrisons and Clubcard points too at Esso. always use branded fuel if I can. supermarkets need some competition.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
I was pretty sceptical too, i have a mate who swears by premium diesel and says it's worth the extra etc etc.

Then i got contacted by one of these fuel card companies who were a good few pence cheaper than pump prices at Tesco and Morrisons round here (Haverfordwest) and goodness me cheaper than the branded stations in town (Fishguard)

So, Instead of filling up everytime i go into Havvi I fill up at branded Murco fuel in Fishguard.

The empty light never ever comes on till 600+ miles is showing and - subjective I know, the van does run that bit smoother and have a little bit more grunt.

That said, French supermarket diesel is cheaper again and the van likes that even more!!!

Rhys

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I thought the gauge was broken today! 225 miles done and still showing 3/4 tank left. It has moved this evening though so its not broken.

·
Registered
4,875 Posts
Ours is a factory made model with most toys fitted.

It's still just a van.
could not afford that option so did it ourselves in stages T: .... but we only use bp normal diesel with rhino additive, we are in it for the long run so treat the engine with respect T:

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Here's my thinking!

If I can get an extra 40 miles per tank from esso that's an extra gallon at £6.35. Where as supermarkets would only save me £1.50 if it was 2p litre cheaper. That makes esso £4.85 a tank cheaper and the van should run better.

I think!!!!

·
Banned
5,495 Posts
could not afford that option so did it ourselves in stages T: .... but we only use bp normal diesel with rhino additive, we are in it for the long run so treat the engine with respect T:
I think we look after ours as well as is humanly possible.
But it's still just a van powered by a pretty commercial grade engine. If it can't run on any diesel (we have good grade, hi cetane level stuff in the UK) then that really is silly.

Same in the BM; 300bhp bi-turbo engine. It uses normal fuel and has been utterly reliable for the five years we've owned it.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts