VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to see if I can improve the gear change on my 1.9TD o2b box with rod linkage.

I've checked and replaced the linkage bushes in the past, the linkages have been adjusted and the gearbox has been reconditioned.

I've always assumed that the gear change feeling like there's a wad of elastic bands wedged in it, making 1st and 2nd need a little more effort to engage than ideal is just a quirk of the t4.

The gear change isn't so bad, but having driven mk3 golf td's and tdi's in the past, the gear change was really smooth compared to the t4 and I get the impression they're all pretty much the same box, so what's the difference?

Is the smooth change in the cars just down to the difference in rod linkage to cable change, or should my t4 be just as smooth a gear change as the golfs?

After driving the van for a week solid, I've finally decided I want to do something with the linkage, whether it's just a case of further fine tuning, or rip it all out and come up with a cable change mod.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Mine was like this.
But since changing the oil last weekend, lubricating all the linkages and carrying out the short shift mod yesterday it's 100% better.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Pull the boot up off the floor and soak the selector linkage etc in WD40 while working the lever through the gears
Had the boot off over the weekend and gave everything a good dose of silicoln spray.........miles better now!

Cheers for thatT:

Though I must say I don't rate the block of rubber rubbing against plastic shroud as a lever guide....seems a bit agricultural.
Surely they could have come up with something a bit more refined than that.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts