VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, anyone got any tips for getting wheels aligned on a T5 in Winchester/Southampton area?

I noticed the van pulling to the left this week and pulled into a kwikfit as I was passing. They had a look and confirmed front and rear wheels misaligned but said front and rear bolts were all seized an so couldn't adjust.

The rear has been lowered on coils.

The guy reckoned we'd need to replace front and rear - lots of corrosion on the back, so now want a second opinion and I guess someone local who works on T5s/T4s. I'm not that excited about taking it to the dealer!

Anyone have any tips on where to go for a second opinion?

Attachments

·
Registered
2008 T5 1.9 BRS
641 Posts
Rule number 1, do not use kwikfit. As a collective they are useless!

What I'd do is go to another decent garage who also has the laser alignment, don't show them the previous printout.
If the results do happen to match at least that garage won't be afraid to use a bit of heat and force to undo the adjusters.

Avoid Kwikfit, they are ******* useless.
I've even seen them mess up fitting tyres by hammering on weights meant for steel rims onto alloys, on the outer edge!
The result, damaged alloy wheels and all the weights falling off within a week.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I can recommend Tyre Shack on Millbrook in Southampton - they can offer Hunter 4 wheel alignment; I went in last week and got my T5 done (£49.50). This seemed reasonable to me. I went in as just moved from 20" to 18" - van now feels lush. I asked for the unladen settings (its just a glorified family car for us) but it you are converted / carrying weight etc have a chat to the chaps. Nice chaps & seats outside in the sun (or rain!). Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nice one, thanks guys. I went to Micheldever Tyres in the end who, miraculously (!), re-aligned my wheels and replaced the rear tyres which were KNACKERED. The alignment cost c. £60 and they were super nice and I was in/ out in about an hour.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts