VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Afternoon all T:

During the start of this week my bus started to make a low pitched resonating type noise. It seems to be coming from the back and I suspected a wheel bearing, the bus is 10 year old with 100k on the clock, don't believe it's ever had one done.

I brought my spare wheel into play and swapped tyres back and fourth ect which made no difference at all. Must say that the noise is by no means loud, had a few folk in the van and they couldn't hear it. But I know it's there :confused:

Took it into garage and they couldn't fault the bearings, got the usual it's a van with no bulkhead you will get noise blah blah. I know my bus and I know the noise is new :*

Noise can be louder when cornering, but it's also there when going straight. Starts at about 25mph.

Am I barking up the wrong tree here? I do a lot of long journeys and would like it sorted before I go away again T:

·
Registered
189 Posts
I'd be inclined to suspect the wheel bearing too. Quite often modern wheel bearings will deteriorate without any significant increase in play. The fact you say the noise increases whilst cornering pretty much confirms it as the wheel bearing.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Use a trolley jack and jack up one of the rear wheels till its off the floor...take handbrake off (chock other wheels) and then when spinning the wheel feel the trolley arm handle...any roughness in the bearing will be felt through the handle. Repeat on the other rear and then compare what you feel and you'll soon work out which side has gone. Local garage discovered this tip when we couldn't decide which side had gone.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for that guys T:

I've had the van back at a different garage this morning. They diagnosed a bad osf bearing, said that the nsf is also making noise, but it's nowhere near as bad as the drivers side. Booked in for the drivers one changed on Monday afternoon for 120 notes. Worth my while doing them both at the same time?

·
Registered
412 Posts
If there is wear then I would have them both done at the same time. Also I would make sure they use a genuine part - I had a rear replaced and the bearing was from ECP - it only lasted 15 months and then had to be done again!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I will make sure I go for genuine parts :ILU:

Van booked in for 2 this afternoon for both front bearings. Ho Ho Ho *<:)>

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Had both front bearings done yesterday, van is much quieter now T:

Front tyres hadn't worn evenly, poor budget brand I: so I've had two front tyres and four wheel tracking done today. Defo recommend the four wheel alignment, van feels a lot better for it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts