VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone got any good ideas for protecting alloys from the dreaded 'wheel worm' which seems almost inevitable on polished finishes? And keeping the van in the garage is not the sort of answer I'm after:)
Thanks in anticipation

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
If you mean diamond cut and lacquered finish - sadly, not a lot. The lacquer will inevitably get knocks from stones etc. leaving the tiniest chips. Water, salt etc. etc. will get to the aluminium and corrosion will start. Downhill from there as it starts to track under the lacquer.

Putting a surface on the wheel will help and probably delay the issue....even a plain old car wax will help. Also, frequent cleaning.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers Poffer that's about where I'm at at the moment - clutching at straws probably but wondering if any of the Detailers on here had any tips.
T:

·
Super Moderator
5,287 Posts
I clean my wheels getting rid of any contamination, I then use a general purpose cleaner and I then protect with gtechniq c5. Great product. I applied it in June last year and my wheels still look the same. Also makes cleaning them very easy

1 - 6 of 6 Posts