VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Id like to get my wheels refurbed but as money is tight id like to do them myself.

here is a photo of my alloys atm:

Id like to take them from the condition they are in now to possibly matt or gloss black.
How much work is involved in getting them looking new?

Ive had a look but not seen any obvious thread in the technical section for how to do it.

Can you do it with the tyres still inflated on the rim? even if taped up any small over spray shouldnt be an issue right?

Any advice will be gratefully recieved as always as im looking at doing them in a few weeks.

Cheers

·
Registered
6,046 Posts
I have some audi alloys that are in the process of refurb by me. I started to sand them but it was taking forever and i thought sod that, so i had them shot blasted.

I've filled the minor scratches and small rim dent with body filler. Then primer, then colour coat, i'm using rustoleum, once i've done the the outer rim pinstripe i'll be laquering them too.

I did this on the steelies on my old bug and three years later they were still in extremely good condition.

·
Registered
6,046 Posts
I'm saving, if anything, just a few pounds. The shot blasting cost £80. I only had that done because i couldn't be bothered to sand them.

If you sand them and spray them yourself you probably won't spend more than £40 - £50.

·
Registered
8,002 Posts
CAS Coatings in Bradford will shot blast and powdercoat a set of 15" wheels for £60 all in. (and they would look brand new)

Once you have bought everything you need to do a decent job, you won't be far off that anyway. And that's not taking into account the time and effort to make a good job of it.

I'm pretty lazy, but I know what I would do :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts