VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Chaps.
I saw a thread on here a while ago about a company in Nottingham who will sand blast and powder coat alloys and callipers for £160. But now for the life of me cant find said thread or company details. Can anyone help?
Thanks
East.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
I think I'm right in saying that you don't want powder coating on wheels (why do I think that?)

2K paint is better (why do I think that as well).

I've read something somewhere when I did some reseacrh for myself.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think I'm right in saying that you don't want powder coating on wheels (why do I think that?)

2K paint is better (why do I think that as well).

I've read something somewhere when I did some reseacrh for myself.
No I do want them powder coated.
Whats with the attitude?

·
Registered
5,043 Posts
In countless adverts they say "Stove enamelling" yet when I phone up out comes the old patter "Weeelll no, it's powder coating. If anyone knows a stove enameller in the south west, let me know.:*

Cheers, Tony.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
No I do want them powder coated.
Whats with the attitude?
Good greif, talk about reading something into something that isn't there. There wasn't any attitude in that post, despite you reading some into it.

I was trying genuinely to help you out. I won't bother again, and I hope no one else does, in case they get the same response.

I thought, but I can't rememebr why (I think I read an article on it somewhere) that powder coating is not as good on wheels as 2 pack.

What's with your attitude?:* ?????

I even bothered to go looking, from Piston Heads:

Paint will give a far better finish. The other problem with powder coat is that when it gets chipped or cracked the water gets underneath it and it comes off in lumps. Paint adheres better to the wheel, though is probably more chip prone.

Personally I'd go for paint if you want a quality job.

So that's the reason why. Go ahead, get them powder coated, see I I care.

·
Registered
425 Posts
I've found powder coat to be fine, as long as you get the wheels properly sandblasted first. Powder coat needs a really rough surface to bond to.
Often new wheels are cast, and then powder coat. This is no good, as the powder coat needs a rough key to grab on to.
And yes, you then get a chip, and the powder coat comes flying off...

·
Registered
425 Posts
Regarding the finish, there are some pretty darn good powder coats out there now.

A lot depends on who does the job.
I've had reasonable finished wheels - on my old Saab, and fabulous finished wheels on my bike, all in powder coat.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My apologies if i read your reply incorrectly.
I thought you were suggesting i did more "of my own" research.
Anyway. Thank you for your replies.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
My apologies if i read your reply incorrectly.
I thought you were suggesting i did more "of my own" research.
Anyway. Thank you for your replies.
Nope, assume the best of people in here as most, if not all want to help.

Start from there and you won't go far wrong. The trouble with text is that sometimes the "feeling" can get lost.

Whatever you choose, as long as it's right for you, that's all that matters.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Good greif, talk about reading something into something that isn't there. There wasn't any attitude in that post, despite you reading some into it.

I was trying genuinely to help you out. I won't bother again, and I hope no one else does, in case they get the same response.

I thought, but I can't rememebr why (I think I read an article on it somewhere) that powder coating is not as good on wheels as 2 pack.

What's with your attitude?:* ?????

I even bothered to go looking, from Piston Heads:

Paint will give a far better finish. The other problem with powder coat is that when it gets chipped or cracked the water gets underneath it and it comes off in lumps. Paint adheres better to the wheel, though is probably more chip prone.

Personally I'd go for paint if you want a quality job.

Text does not alway belie the feeling intended ......start again and move on fellas

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Powder coating looks the nuts, I've seen some today that have been done 3 years and they still look spotless.
I pick up my refurbed RS4's on friday :D
I'll post pictures T:

The industrial powder coating that I've dealt with is incredible stuff, much easier to burn it off than try and blast it off also depending on the resins and pigment used it is tough enough to deal with a hammer blow without damaging it.
With all sorts of ISO/TS standards it has to do the task its designed for.

Also the thickness of the plastic covers any little blemishes and scratches which is great T:
I'd say its much more of hardcore coating than wet paint.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts