VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Wheel bolts from VW....Ouch!

Just went to get a set of 17" steels with Nokian WR A3 winter tyres fitted, unfortunately I didn't realise the bolts currently on the van are not suitable and I need a set of original boltss. A phone call to the local VW dealer later my wallet is over £100 lighter. £5.50 + VAT each! I know you can get for much cheaper but wanted to get genuine ones and needed them in a hurry. You live and learn I guess!

Bought the wheel and tyres from tyre leader.co.uk at a pretty good price. I have to say they are not in particularly good condition for what I assumed were new wheels, although I have just read a few posts on here which suggest tyre leader do refurbs or demo wheels. No mention of whether they are new or used on their site, so assumed they would be new. Not too concerned as they are just for winter but would have been better if they were scuff free as I had expected.

·
Registered
476 Posts
On the plus side you didn't find out your bolts wont fit a standard wheel after having a puncture! I wonder how many people remember to carry spare bolts in the van after fitting aftermarket alloys and non tapered studs.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I did have 5 of original bolts which came with the van, obvious now they are for that purpose. I just assumed they were the ones replaced with locking bolts as the locking adaptor was in the same bag. Will definitely be leaving them in the van once the alloys go back on next year!

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
My local VW Commercial centre did me a cracking deal on bolts (they're not studs - thats something different) as every van they had in new with alloys, they took one bolt of each wheel and fitted lockers so they had a massive bucket of delivery miles bolts. Full set including new VW lockers for a fraction of what getting a full new set at a fiver per bolt would have cost!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My local VW Commercial centre did me a cracking deal on bolts (they're not studs - thats something different) as every van they had in new with alloys, they took one bolt of each wheel and fitted lockers so they had a massive bucket of delivery miles bolts. Full set including new VW lockers for a fraction of what getting a full new set at a fiver per bolt would have cost!
My mistake, I meant bolts also. Pity I didn't get a bargain like that! Maybe if I'd had some time to look about....next time.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Got my steelies on today. Not exactly the same colour as expected from the pic on tyreleader.co.uk and they are a bit scuffed round the rim. Will do the job for winter though.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts