VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I thought I'd post this here as its more likely to be seen.

Anyway, pretty much since fitting my 20's I've been getting a vibration at about 65mph. So first I had the front wheels balanced and it seemed to fix the problem, but only for a day:confused:

The strange this was the vibration was there most of the time when I got to 65mph but not 100% every time. Confused dot com.

I done some research as it seems that front wheel problems will be noticeable at low speeds whereas rear wheel problems tend to show up at higher speeds, as long as your wheel isn't hanging off:eek:

So I was about to have the rears checked and balanced when I needed to get under the van to fit my seats so put it off for a couple of days. I'd had the van up in the air and when I dropped it again and drove it there was no vibration. Hmmm

So decided to take the rear wheels off and have a look but needed to just roll the van back literally a couple of inches so let the handbrake off and gave a push and it wouldn't budge!!! So started up and moved it then got it up on axle stands, released the handbrake and hey presto the offside rear is binding. Do a few checks and establish its the offside handbrake mechanism and not the foot brake thats binding. Took the wheel off and released the caliper and cable and it's then quite clear that the cable is causing the problem. I removed the cable and used half a tin of penetrating oil on it and got it moving quite freely. So put it all back together and check it and it's definitely releasing properly now.

Put the wheels back on and drove it and I now have no vibration at all. All caused by a sticky offside cable.

Hopefully this may help someone else one day as trying to find the cause of a vibration can be a real headache

Just to add I had a 4 wheel alignment done after putting on the 20's and coilovers and everything was within tolerances

·
Registered
5,043 Posts
Thanks for letting us know Mudskipper. File that away just in case. T: Cheers, Tony.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
If you take a look where the cable comes past the rear shock and up into the caliper then check it is routed correctly. Mine had been wedged between the shock and the suspension arm which I had noticed when I fitted my coils, moved it to where it should be but didn't notice it had worn through the outer sleeve. It should be held away from the shock by a tab on the back edge of the arm.

The cable outer has been crushed and looks like the water and other c-rap has been getting in causing the binding. I am going to get a new cable soon but for now with the aid of the releasing oil all is good.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts