VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I have finally saved up enough moolah to get some half decent wheels for the van and gonna go for some 18"'s.

I've read loads on here about sizes / load ratings etc but gotta admit to being totally confused and have no idea what I am looking at.:*:*

Could someone give me a steer please as to what size / load rating I should be looking for when buying? All I know is there a 5 studs - the rest is a mystery to me!:confused:

My van is a 2001 2.5 TDI AJT 88 bhp. I don't really want to be using spacers,etc - just want something that fits straight on.

Thanks guys...:ILU:

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Morning

U need rims with a boltpattern of 5/112. Centerbore should be abt 57.7mm
If the rim has bigger CB, U need to adjust this with spigot rings as the should be a tight fit.
U also need long(er) bolt to fit rim & van

None of the linked rims are offered with a load rating certificate as I can see.
I need to check out what the plated max axle weight i for U`r van.

Take the time to read up on what other members with the same van have to give U a fair idea as to what U need.

Plenty Audi rims that are legal & will bolt straight on:)

Keep in mind that when U buy the odd rep or other aftermarked rim, U may seriously struggle to replace a damaged rim somewhat down the line ;)

·
Registered
25 Posts
hi there,i bought some amg mercedes wheels for my t4 van,ive had to have the holes drilled to 14mm,i then made the mistake of thinking standard t4 bolts would fit,they didnt!! i had to buy bolts with a longer shank 50mm to be exact, so i know have m14 bolts with a 50mm shank and mercedes wheels with the holes drilled to 14mm to house the bolts,i would deffinatly check the shank length through the back of your wheels first before you buy any other bolts, the t4 specs are 5x112 and the bolts are m14,make sure the kneck under the top of the bolt is rounded also,im not sure of the correct term but you will see what i mean when you look at your standard bolts.

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
,make sure the kneck under the top of the bolt is rounded also,im not sure of the correct term but you will see what i mean when you look at your standard bolts.
Sorry, this is not correct
The bolt seat must match whatever seat the rims has. There are different ones about, in both size & shape
Most of the times U will end up buying a set of bolts to match both rim seat & bolt protrution through the rim

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the responses guys T:

I think my van is load rate at 810kg per wheel. The wheels I posted up are as you quite rightly say not rated so I will need to check with supplier anyway before buying to ensure ok.:eek:

I understand the PCD now have read some other posts and sticky's. Only bit I really don't get is the offset bit - that is just a different language:*

I have got my eye on a few Audi wheels but really quite fancied some deep dish style wheels if poss as a preference but without breaking the bank. However, as mentioned don't want to be messing with spigot rings / different size nits,etc...

·
Registered
3,992 Posts
Thanks for the responses guys T:

I think my van is load rate at 810kg per wheel. The wheels I posted up are as you quite rightly say not rated so I will need to check with supplier anyway before buying to ensure ok.:eek:

I understand the PCD now have read some other posts and sticky's. Only bit I really don't get is the offset bit - that is just a different language:*

I have got my eye on a few Audi wheels but really quite fancied some deep dish style wheels if poss as a preference but without breaking the bank. However, as mentioned don't want to be messing with spigot rings / different size nits,etc...
With your wheel load just take a look at your chassis plate take the highest axle weight and what ever half of it is you need to have a wheel that takes at least that if you want a wheel thats correct to the letter of the law T:

Et is basically the amount the wheel sit in the arch this can alter with wheel widths as well but as a general rule of thumb on a T4 an 8" rim can be around et45-35 the lower than number the more the wheel sticks out
You will also be very lucky to find a standard Audi or Vw wheel with a wide dished rim T:

·
Registered
403 Posts
try race and road. They do t4 alloys load rated with a cert to keep your insurance company happy. Im looking at getting a set soon and would rather pay the extra for load rated for piece of mind that they aint gona break when fully loaded with family going on holiday! Plenty of people seem to not care and put on normal car alloys. Crazy imho ur insurance would prob be invalid and police wouldnt like it if they caught u either. Same goes with tyres.

·
Registered
3,992 Posts
try race and road. They do t4 alloys load rated with a cert to keep your insurance company happy. Im looking at getting a set soon and would rather pay the extra for load rated for piece of mind that they aint gona break when fully loaded with family going on holiday! Plenty of people seem to not care and put on normal car alloys. Crazy imho ur insurance would prob be invalid and police wouldnt like it if they caught u either. Same goes with tyres.
The van rated alloys is fair , but to say car alloys are basically no good is a bit random really
my last car alloys were rated at 800kg the ones i have now are rated at 700kg per wheel obviously which is plenty for my 800 van T:

·
Registered
403 Posts
What ment was people having car alloys with unknown load rated. I see a lot of alloys on eBay for t4 with no info on load ratings.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks again gang for all your replies. Some interesting reading there...T:

Not worried about fitting standard VW or Audi wheels, just want something that is safe, looks good and don't cost and arm and a leg!:eek: I will be going down the correct load rating route for both wheels & tyres to keep PC Plod happy.Rasp:

The point about ebay rules is interesting - I didn't know that but it does give me some peace of mind.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Cheers - sorry didn't pick up the sarcasm bit - silly me! LOL:

I have now checked with the supplier and load rating is 690kg per wheel. According to the technical item on here, if I take the axle weight and divide by 2, that should be sufficient for my van (but is not the 810kg rated for the original steelies) - presume that is ok is it?:confused:

The offset on these is now confirmed at ET35 (front and rear) so sounds like this will be ok?:confused:

Thanks again gang...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts