VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm no fool...

...but,

I can cope with the theory, but it occurs to me that without any experience in the potential pitfalls and problems that may come with fitting non-standard wheels I may be setting myself up for a lot of wasted time, and worse still, money.

My ambition is this: Small rims with a deep "outset" and fat (ie thick, not low profile) and possibly quite wide tyres. Basically I'm looking for the kind of look you get on the old GMC vans or The A Team van, if you like, see reference pics below.

(I'm not going for a replica A Team van BTW, just in case you were worried)

So can anyone help me with understanding the ranges of the various specifications that i need to look for?
Also can anyone advise me on the possible issues that will be thrown up by putting such wheels on, or if it is even possible?
I have an ex-AA, which is currently fully standard, including 16" brakes on 15" wheels I believe, likewise I don't know what the implications of this is either.

Am i asking too much? Or is it a very simple and specific question?
Please help.
Ben.

Thanks.

xx

·
Registered
6,007 Posts
Jim, can you tell me what wheel/tyre combo those are?
I will eventually (when my tyres wear out) get some alloys for mine & I am liking that look.. A::D

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm loving the chunk Jimbo, although the wheels i was refering to were these:

I especially like the way those new rims add to the overall look of chunkyness but i also like the way the ones above have a rebated centre - an offset (?) is this the right term?

Given your apparent experience of chunky tires, offset rims (?) and my desire to have both of these factors on a small, ie max 15" rim can you offer me any advice?

Regards, Ben.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have just fitted 235/60 15 general grabbers to my Van on standard VW Alloys. Looks nice with the white lettering, not too big and plenty of clearance. sorry no pics as its in for a respray.:)

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have just fitted 235/60 15 general grabbers to my Van on standard VW Alloys. Looks nice with the white lettering, not too big and plenty of clearance. sorry no pics as its in for a respray.:)
Like the sound of these, but aren't the standard VW Alloys 6J?
I always thought that 235's were too wide for a 6J rim?

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Isn't the inset/outset a factor in this?

Is this the value expressed as "ET"?

Come on people, who knows what's what? (cos i certainly don't)

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i've been reading the wheel bible:

http://www.carbibles.com/tyre_bible_pg2.html

and it still appears that i need some input from real world experience.

I'm looking at 15 inch wheels and i want them to be quite wide.
There is a limit to how wide i can go and that width must be considered in relation to the central mounting hub of the rim, ie in two directions -
if too much of the width is given over to the 'inside' section then they may obstruct the suspension
if too much is given over to the 'outside' then they will be obstructed by the arches when steering or by the sliding door at the back.
Furthermore it seems that this value has to be respect the manufacturers recommendations or the steering might go funny.
So, there is a maximum value for the width of the rim, usually in inches,
and there is an ET number that represents where the central mounting hub is sited.

so.. I think I'm on track to understanding it, but that still doesn't tell me what the answer is, i don't have the financial luxury of being able to try and fail and I'm sure somebody out there must have an idea of what the tolerances are, so....

....are you there?

regards. B

1 - 10 of 10 Posts