VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bristol has agreed to ban diesel vehicles from the city centre from, I think 2021.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-50292596

My van is already banned from the London LEZ area.

Question...1.. How long can we keep our diesel vans for before being banned from most towns and cities.

and 2.. If we can't go where we like, then surely, we should not have to pay so much road tax as there will be lots of roads that we cannot use.

·
Premium Member
481 Posts
Just wonder if all those boats with the dirty diesel engines will get banned from Baltic Wharf I: No point in starting a petition either.

·
Registered
309 Posts
And also the 20 year old buses throwing out soot, yes there are new buses but still plenty of old ones.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Theyve not banned taxi's , buses or delivery trucks LOL:

Trains , boats .....basically most of the logistical vehicles.
And probably the vehicles most likely to be polluting. They’ve also ignored old petrol cars.

Feels like a bunch of people making decisions based on they read on the internet instead of making a properly informed decision. Unsurprising.

·
Registered
7,422 Posts
And probably the vehicles most likely to be polluting. They’ve also ignored old petrol cars.

Feels like a bunch of people making decisions based on they read on the internet instead of making a properly informed decision. Unsurprising.
They'd no doubt have to bring in external advisors to make that call .

·
Registered
1,501 Posts

Old petrol cars don’t put out the pollutants that they are targeting. Main pollutant of a petrol car (old or new) is CO2. The towns and cities are after reducing NOx and particulates.

·
Registered
3,869 Posts
Just wonder if all those boats with the dirty diesel engines will get banned from Baltic Wharf
No point in starting a petition either.
Not diesel, for many ships its heavy fuel oil and theres loads of grades, of which diesel is just one group. Some ships can run on multiple grades based on choices of cost or whats available. And in some places/countries ships are monitored and fuel sampled for pollution estimates, and often surcharged accordingly based on whatever grade they choose to run on, you dont think they just cruise in and berth for free??

·
Registered
641 Posts
I’ll have to buy an old milk float and store it near Bristol so I can get to my clients offices when they need work doing - NOT! I’ll just have to bung any charges onto the bill and then City Centre office space will be vacated and the place will probably die on its ar*e!
Properties just outside the proposed charging zone for Birmingham have already tried to renegotiate /increase rents for existing tenants :(
I wouldn’t mind if there was a viable alternative vehicle available - anyone know of a T5 sized electric vehicle with a range of 400 miles between charges?

·
Registered
7,422 Posts
I’ll have to buy an old milk float and store it near Bristol so I can get to my clients offices when they need work doing - NOT! I’ll just have to bung any charges onto the bill and then City Centre office space will be vacated and the place will probably die on its ar*e!
Properties just outside the proposed charging zone for Birmingham have already tried to renegotiate /increase rents for existing tenants
I hear that leamington and Stratford etc are looking at doing the same . Y:

·
Premium Member
481 Posts
Not diesel, for many ships its heavy fuel oil and theres loads of grades, of which diesel is just one group. Some ships can run on multiple grades based on choices of cost or whats available. And in some places/countries ships are monitored and fuel sampled for pollution estimates, and often surcharged accordingly based on whatever grade they choose to run on, you dont think they just cruise in and berth for free??
Thats why I stated boats, not ships. Hard pressed to get a ship into the Wharf. Mainly pleasure craft and house boats.T:

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
Traffic into and out of Bristol is mind numbing and I'm sure it has had some bearing on this proposal/decision. I'm not convinced its the right decision though. Feels more like limited the effect rather than dealing with the cause..

I hope that the displaced traffic is compensated for in terms of city outskirts parking and enhanced public transport. My office is about 1 mile away from the city and I normally get the train in from Cheltenham and then walk. On the odd day that I drive to work its down the M32 which is part of the clean zone with no immediate alternative route available.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts