VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As per the title. I cant for the life of me see a timing mark on the pump housing.

The cambelt snapped and the head was removed by the garage without locking the pump position...

Any help on how to get the pump aligned would be great!

Cheers

·
Meithered to death
2,859 Posts
There isnt a timing mark as such on the pump but a rough guide to get you somewhere near,ideally you need a DTI gauge to insert into the back of the pump between the high pressure pipes to take a lift reading for no.1 cylinder so you can lock the pump in that place before setting the belt pump cam sprocket and tensioners.Once its running you need to get it up to temperature and use VAGCOM to read the timing correctly and adjust it accuratley.
Its not an easy job first time around.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, that looks good! seems to show where the timing mark is!

I have VAGCOM already for my Audi so if i can get it close enough to get it running with that timing mark (number 5 on the diagram) then i can fine tune it using the tool in VAGCOM.

Cheers!

·
Registered
152 Posts
don't want to teach anybody how to suck eggs here but turn the engine over twice by hand on any cambelt change before trying to start on the key just to make sure nothing hits. sorry to say but felt the need.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thats ok. I always double check everything like this. I am lucky enough to be doing it all with the engine on an engine stand as i have just done a re-build on it.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have got the engine back in and i'm trying to get it started now.

I aligned the pump with the mark on the body. I know this is only a rough guide, but should it allow the engine to start ok? because she wont fire up....

I have bled the fuel system as best i can, but do still see bubbles coming "down" the clear fuel line while turning it over. Is there any special was to get this bled?

Cheers

1 - 9 of 9 Posts