VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All!

This being my first thread, I hope I've posted it in the right place and that my questions are not too common.......

I'm looking to buy a T4 transporter quite soon but I'm not sure of the most cost effective way to do so. It seems that £2000 - £5000 would get me a good reliable example. But I'm quite picky about the mpg and the 1.9 seems to be the most fuel efficient, does anyone think otherwise?

I am also open to buying a LHD one from abroad, perhaps in Germany, but there are costs associated with doing this which I understand might come to about £300. Is this something thats generally recommended?

The van is to be used for extended trips in the Scottish Highlands, of up to a month at a stretch and during both summer and winter times. I will be living in the van as I go and would have preferred a Caravelle but the difference in price seems way too much for me. I think a simple conversion with bed and one hob stove would suit me fine. I'm used to roughing it.

Any thoughts or advice will be much appreciated.

Best

Rob

·
Registered
865 Posts
Hi Rob,

I guess it's 6 of one half a dozen of the other... You can get them from Germany etc but you'll be paying extra taxes- A chap on here got a Multivan from over there (Neal Glover, I think?) He should be able to tell you about the costs involved.

The 1.9td is a reliable workhorse, but the 2.5tdi has that extra go and when you've got loads of stuff in the back it makes all the difference! A quick remap on the 2.5tdi can give you great power gains and seriously good MPG too.

Good luck finding one, don't rush into it, you'll find the right one!

I'll bob some pics of mine up for you, I'd say mine's pretty much how you'd be having yours... I've got it ply'd carpetted and insulated in the back, full width bed and use camping stove and stuff when I go away surfing. It's better roughing it like that!! T:T:

·
Registered
8,002 Posts
There are no extra taxes to pay bringing a used vehicle from the EU so you are fine on that score.

But there are costs involved, and it would be more than £300.

The bits people forget are the things like Flight, Hotel, taxis, fuel to get back, insurance/reg plate to drive back legally, ferry, meals etc. They all add up.

And if you go over to buy a specific van, and it turns out to be a lemon (which is far less likely in Germany than here in my experience) but it can still happen. Then you have incurred all those expenses but still not bought a van.

Unless you are looking for a model that wasn't sold in the UK, or specifically want LHD, I honestly wouldn't bother.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts