VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Been looking on ebay for a while now and I keep coming back to a certain type wheel (like THIS) I am however struggling with getting the loading rates right. Yes I'll probably be signed up at the "load police" now I:, but I don't want to risk getting insurance trouble and or car trouble for that matter.

So my main question(s) are:
1) where do you all get your tyres from (as most on fleabay do not mention the loading rate)
2) are you guys aware of any main-stream (brand) alternatives (such as the BMW X5, etc)?

Ta

·
Registered
166 Posts
I have 245/45R18 Avon ZZ5 tyres Load Index is 100. Don't quote me but depends what you are using the van for. A Load Index of 100 will carry 800Kg per tyre, which is 3.2 metric ton in total. You could try and find out how much wieght the wheel will carry.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hello Paddy1985,

I have just bought a set of 20" Rims second hand on Ebay. They are off a Range Rover Sport which used the same PCD which allows you to bolt them straight on (with a spiggot and bolt set which again can be bought from ebay). Range Rover wheels are rated 960kg I believe which is enough as I undersatnd for any T5. The tyres that mine had on were Pirelli PZero (106 load rated) which is again more than enough for a T5. As stated in many of the other threads in this forum, this wheel and tyre combination will rub only very slightly on full lock, but only against the plastic arch liners ..... and again only just (This is with no lowering and standard suspension on a 2007 Cravelle).

My only concern now (probably should have sorted this first ... doh !) is what effect will this have on my insurance ? ... as you will hardly get away without noticing the change !

Does anybody know what take the insurance companies have on a change from a 16" rim to a 20" ??

1 - 4 of 4 Posts