VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Background: This is my first post. I have just brought a tired ;) VW Transporter and plan on slowing improving it.

Please can anyone here tell me where to buy seats with the unwin connectivity (my T5 has an Unwin floor already installed). Ideally new or atleast in good condition. Those on ebay are in poor condition.

I appreciate any and all help.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Dont confine your choice to seats fitted with Unwin tracking; the receptors for the tracking is adaptable for any seat with legs on as they simply bolt on to the seat base. I started with these

and then moved on to these

Hope this helps T:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would like to make some custom convertion and ue just the seats I fancy, but I am unsure about the width of the seat legs being at the right place for the unwin mounts. Any advice on making this work?

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
As your Unwin lower rails are already mounted in your van you will be limited by the width that they are currently set at, unless of course you move them (which I would suggest is not advisable, as this involves a fair bit of effort ie exhaust/heat shield off, spreader plates etc etc). However most seats legs are either adjustable or motifiable (how is your welding) to ensure that they will fit your existing rails. If your not sure about fabrication get someone in the know to help you, after all safety first is of prime importance.

I might be looking at fitting Range Rover front seats into the rear of my van once the bank balance allows.

Best suggestion is go to a local forum meet and ask those that have done something similar before. T: Good luck and don't rush it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks DSM, this is what I'll do. I have found some nice seats at van-x for £850. The price is a little much for me. But the seats are very nice. Do you have any advice on where to go to get goos seats at a good price. (I'm looking for two rows of three in the back to make a 9 seater in total).

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Thanks DSM, this is what I'll do. I have found some nice seats at van-x for £850. The price is a little much for me. But the seats are very nice. Do you have any advice on where to go to get goos seats at a good price. (I'm looking for two rows of three in the back to make a 9 seater in total).
Pm Oxford T5 on this forum, he's the main man for seats. He has a good reputation as well. T:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok, so, I thought I would keep you all updated about Unwin seats for the T5 (actually any vehicle with Unwin flooring as it turned out)!

It can be a nightmare if you don't do your research because there are actually no official standards for how wide the Unwin tracks must be. Consequently, most seats I found were either custom creations from someone's welder or installed as sets for a Minibus installation. Again these are custom. If, like me, you already have the rails installed, brought chairs with Unwin connectivity will almost cetainly not fit (mine are really norrow).

However, there is some light at the end of this tunnel. Firstly, some pople sell seats that are specifically made for Unwin and also are totally adjustable for different track widths, etc. As it turned out for me, the original seats I found, sold by VanX, do just this. I also was lucky enough to get some off ebay almost new with £250 off! Really pleased.

If you don't want to spend this type of money out then look into Unwin's static onnections (they call them TBolts) which will fit must seats becasue they're just bolts that connect to their flooring. You must think carefully about robustness and safety if you do need to drill holes. But if you get it right then most chairs will fit. Finally, you can contact (as I did) a list of companies that sell seats with Unwin in mind (got the list from Unwin). They all have different widths but some may fit your rails. And some looked quite good too.

Hope thjis heklps someone.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts