VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

For a while, I've been keeping an eye on the classifieds for some decent wheels.

I've now decided, I'll shell out for brand new alloys if I need to (or if the right set appear on fleabay or the classifieds section here).

However, I have been put off making a purchase, incase I get the wrong ones. Clearly, they HAVE to be load rated - something that isn't apparent when searching ads/websites.

I also know they have to be 5x112 PCD. I'm looking for 17" (I currently have 18 and think the ride is to hard, so if I drop to 17s, tyres will be considerably cheaper and the ride should improve).

However, there is a lot of talk about ETs this and Js that - I've no idea what that is... and am worried getting the wrong ones won't fit my van.

Lastly, my van is dropped about 40mm, so what is the thickest 17 inch tyre I could get? For instance, on 225/40/17 tyres - is it the 225 number I am checking or the 40?

Hopefully someone can point me in the right direction!

Cheers T:
Amnesia

·
Registered
228 Posts
I know what you mean mate, it's a minefield, if you check the technical articles sub forum on the wheel and suspension section there's some really useful info, I recently changed my alloys to steel wheels because the ride was poor, ended up changing the suspension set up as well!
Good luck

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I know what you mean mate, it's a minefield, if you check the technical articles sub forum on the wheel and suspension section there's some really useful info, I recently changed my alloys to steel wheels because the ride was poor, ended up changing the suspension set up as well!
Good luck
New shocks and springs is something I will look to upgrade, but probably not until next year.

I'm looking to change the wheels first, as I feel the priority is higher (really wanting officially load rated alloys, not just ones that you "think" are load rated, without any way of telling!).

But I have now ide how big the ET and J should be, or what the difference will mean. I also want plenty of rubber on the side wall to try and cushion the right slightly. But again, it seems like there are a thousand different combinations.

http://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=399012

there you go mate but to see pic look in his profile
Cheers, will check them out!

·
Registered
184 Posts
Hi mate, the 225 is the width of the wheel and the 40 is the depth of the tyre as a %. So a 225/40 will be 90mm side wall.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Right, I see. Thanks for that.

I've found a website called rimstyle which looks pretty affordable!

However, I'd prefer to get my own tyres.

From the research I've done... I've found a load of 17" wheels... I assume I am only looking for ET45 ? (Some are ET38 but apparently they'd be far too wide for the van?). They are also mainly either 7.0 or 7.5 (whatever that means).

For tyres, I've found 4 that are 225/55/101W (If I drop to 225/50, I can't get them with a high enough load rating).

The whole comes to about £650 with some half decent looking MOMO load rated alloys (here).

Can anyone confirm if I am now on the right lines with what I'm looking for?

The van is lowered 45mm(ish), so I don't want any rub from 17s with a 55 wall. Am I also correct in think I should have ET40-ET45 with a 7.0 or 7.5 (not 8.0)?

·
Registered
627 Posts
Hi,those wheels look really good,good choice ;)
I had 17/7.5's on my van for a while.They were et48 and I had 13mm spacer on the rear to bring them out of the arch a bit.
I had 225/50's with a 98 load rating.The van was lowered 50 mm at the time.Have a look in my build thread for pictures if you want.T:
Try these for a good price on tyres,they're the best I've found yet.
http://www.tyreleader.co.uk/car-tyres/nexen/n8000/225-50-r17-98w-173241
I had Nexen 8000's and they were really good.The wheels are now on the wifes Audi and when the tyres wore down,we brought the Nexen's again,£56.49 each T:

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wow, great price on tyres! Unfortunately I can't view pictures hosted on photobox and similar on a work computer - so I'll check out your build thread later. Did you use spacers because the ET48 made them sit in the arch to much? My biggest concern would be going over a bumpy road, bouncing up and down (as my springs are quite soft) and ripping half the bumper off with the wheels rubbing!! Haha.

·
Registered
228 Posts
New shocks and springs is something I will look to upgrade, but probably not until next year.

I'm looking to change the wheels first, as I feel the priority is higher (really wanting officially load rated alloys, not just ones that you "think" are load rated, without any way of telling!).

But I have now ide how big the ET and J should be, or what the difference will mean. I also want plenty of rubber on the side wall to try and cushion the right slightly. But again, it seems like there are a thousand different combinations.

That was the problem I had mate, I had some 18" 5 spoke alloys with 225 40 tyres, not only did the tyres have inadequate rating but I couldn't tell whether the wheels did or not, coupled with rear springs that were shot and it was like having wooden wheels, it seems from what I've read that even 45's make a big difference, I think I would stick with 16" or 17" wheels though, at least that allows for plenty of tyre. I looked at rim style when I was looking, there's some nice looking wheels on there mate T:

·
Beardy Bus Driver
1,415 Posts
If you put your current and planned wheel and tyre sizes into http://willtheyfit.com It'll tell you what differences there are in poke (how much more they stick out/in). And how much the diameter difference is. This should give you an idea of how close tyres and body work are going to be.

·
Beardy Bus Driver
1,415 Posts
Can you get any part numbers from the ones you have? They look VAG to me if they're the ones in you photo album. A call to TPS with a part number might give you some more details.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Right,

I've found out they're Audi RS3 5 Arm Rotor alloys... how do I tell if they are originals? (I highly doubt they are, as they came with the van, and looking at the price tag... the wheels would have cost almost as much as the van haha).

According to the tech spec they should be: 5x112 8J (according to the Alzor website; who manufacture the replicas... they are made in ET45 for 18", but some websites are selling them ET35 or ET45...).

Hope that helps!

·
Registered
228 Posts
I've been looking at wolfrace but they seem a bit pricey.

I didn't think wheels with ET38 would fit? I might stick with 225/50 tyres instead of 55 just to ensure I don't get any wheel rub on the arches etc.
Must admit that's why I opted for powder coated steelies, I can always change the wheels in years to come but I wanted the suspension sorted all around so it was a case of priorities for me, wheels are an expense I can do without at the mo as I've still got to change the inside of my van, however they do change the look of a van significantly so you need to be sure of your choice

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I've now just realised what spacers are! That willtheyfit.com site is brilliant.

So if the wheels are going to sit slimmer in the arch, I can just shove a spacer on there to push the wheel out to where it used to be? Seems a cost effective way of doing it, especially if the wheels are the ones I want.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts