VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I have just bought myself some side Windows for the T4 and I'm going to fit them myself this weekend. I have been trawling the Internet for a decent in-depth guide but they all seem so brief and lacking key bits of detail, however I've managed to paint a pretty good picture of what I'm up against there's just a few things I'm still unsure of. My question is - when I come to cutting the Windows, do I literally follow the line of the inner skin size for size, or should I go in 10-20mm smaller but keep parallel to the line? Any advice is greatly appreciated. Cheers

Ps I should add that it's bonded Windows that I'm fitting

·
Registered
25 Posts
Good luck fitting the Windows. I've just done one on my van at the weekend. Briefly the order we did things in:
Drill pilot holes in outer skin from inside van, using inner skin as the guide against side of drill bit.
From out side of van we used a thin cutting disc on a small grinder to cut out 5-10mm larger than the pilot holes (then you only see inner skin from inside when it's all done)
Once fully cut out, knock out existing bonding between panels and spot weld two skins closer together, you will need to do a bit of panel beating to flattern outer skin in towards inner skin.
Grind back any spot welds that are raised and apply primer to van.
Fit seal on window, prime window, apply bonding and stick it on the hole!
We found ratchet straps around door with a couple of blocks on the glass to apply pressure helped loads.

I'll try and add some finished pictures tmrw. Sorry I haven't got any during, got carried away with actually doing it!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi thanks for your reply! Just a couple of questions.. When using the inner skin as a template, will this defiantly give me enough space on the outer surface of the van for the bonding glue? Im only asking because I had a look at the panels on my van and it seems like there will only be about an inch of surface around the hole for the glue to go on.

Also how crucial is the welding process, I don't have access to a welder so I cant do it the way you did it.. is there an alternative way of doing it?

Cheers for the help anyway!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts