VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, silly question really but I want to be sure. Can I wire the secondary batt to the body or does it have to be connected to the chassis? The wire I got with my split charge system is tiny, so it would be more convenient to connect it to the body. :ILU:

Cheers guys :D

·
Premium Member
40 Posts
The negative of your camper battery goes to vehicle body (earth)
Pin 85 on the relay also goes to earth.
Pin 86 goes to a 'switched ingnition-on' live, this could be coming from the wire on your alternator that goes to the charge light on your dsahboard, its easy to find - the wire is the thin cable on a single connector on the back of your alternator, or you could even wire it to something else that is only 'live' when the ignition is on (radio for example)
The other two pins are connected to the live terminals of the batteries.
Pin 30 to engine battery, pin 87 to leisure battery.

It really is simple - honest, 4 wires!

Then as soon as the engine is started - your leisure battery is charging, as soon as you turn the ignition off - it stops charging and the leisure battery is completely disconnected from your engine battery, so no chance of flattening it.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cheers man, that answered my question :) I have it set this way at the moment, was really just the earth cable that I was concerned about.

·
Registered
10,601 Posts
If the wiring is that small I wouldn't even bother fitting it. It will certainly let you down at some point.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If the wiring is that small I wouldn't even bother fitting it. It will certainly let you down at some point.
Ah sorry, i worded that wrong! The wire is short, but a normal negative 16mm wire. Heres a pic of it fitted:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts