VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to put 240v into my T5.

The ELCB will be at the back on the driver's side, so I wondered if anyone had placed the inlet at the rear too?

I know some people chop the bodywork under the rear light cluster, but this is far too complicated for my rudimentary DIY skills?

Is there somewhere else that people have used to mount the inlet?

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Mine is hidden and tucked under the rear bumper. I think there is a pic in my toffee time thread in swb garage.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
That look perfect. How did you run the power cable into the back of the van?
There is a big grommet in the side panel, near the bottom of the passenger side rear quarter. On mine the parking sensor wires go through the same hole.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There is a big grommet in the side panel, near the bottom of the passenger side rear quarter. On mine the parking sensor wires go through the same hole.
Cheers for that. It sounds like quite an easy install then. I will give it a go!

·
Registered
114 Posts
Just finished mine last weekend, fitted socket alongside tow bar routed cable behind bumper the up inside the panel below rear light then follow light cable through large grommet the drilled 20mm hole in bulk head (fitted a cable glade so cable cant rub on steel) then into lower part of rear cupboard and the RCCD.

Forgot to take pictures as I was going along, but could do later if needed.

Ian

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Mine is at the back of the van under the bumper and I do get a far bit of crud thrown on to it. Under bonnet and a £20 gas strut does sound good.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I'm thinking of making it easier on myself, will put the commando plug on the side of the cabinets behind the drivers seat and run the hookup cable through the drivers side window, with a bit of window rubber to go in the cracked open window to stop draughts.

That way I'll not be able to drive off with the hookup still connected like I've seen some people do, as I can't be bothered to put an interlock on the ignition like I had on my old camper van.

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
I'm thinking of making it easier on myself, will put the commando plug on the side of the cabinets behind the drivers seat and run the hookup cable through the drivers side window, with a bit of window rubber to go in the cracked open window to stop draughts.

That way I'll not be able to drive off with the hookup still connected like I've seen some people do, as I can't be bothered to put an interlock on the ignition like I had on my old camper van.
might get water running down the cable into van/electrics if it rains tho, also leaving ya window open a bit is a bit unsecure.

i had mine fitted at weekend under the bonnet, no crud on it, no wet knees plugging or unplugging

1 - 14 of 14 Posts