VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all!

Ive owned my van for about three years, during this time ive done a few mods including lowering, 18" alloys, bonded windows and electric windows. Up until recently ive only used the van for transporting my moto x bikes but a recent addition to the the family has left me considering a conversion.

My current van is a 97 p reg 800 special with 67k on the clock, its white and showing a few signs of rust in the usual places!! Would you consider this to be a suitable base vehicle?

I would like to do the following;

Elevating roof, respray, rock n roll bed, kitchen/units, swivel seats, heating, electrics, the list keeps growing!!!!!!!!

Firstly, where would i start with above? secondly, any idea on cost? i would like to do the majority of the work myself, except the paint!!!!!!!!!!!.

cheers, Gaz

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
my god sounds awesome to me... i have an ex aa 03 and she is on 89000 so low mileage for you...happy dayz. if you want a contact in lincoln for a respray i had mine done and it really didnt cost the earth, a lot cheaper it seems than what other people have paid...just PM me...

good luck with it all.
:) :ILU:

·
Registered
372 Posts
sounds like a good starter. got my van (LWB 2.5tdi) with 222K on the clock. so yours has loooowww mileage.

reimo do a pop top and rock and roll bed,

Cannons forge www.cannonsforge.co.uk also do a very reasonable (but not tested???) r n r bed with seat belts etc + t4 forum discount if mentioned.

T4's R Us, do bits and bobs

megavanmats for your carpet

ebay is pretty good, but beware you can pay over the odds

and occasionally direct from vw dealers can be cheaper, but not very often

loads of stuff on here... if you can find it

·
Registered
232 Posts
Better the Devil you know than the one you dont:) start outside and work in.. get a 'respray' and not a 'blow over'......looks good untill you open your door and its a diferent colour round the door jambs etc...Good luck with it and remember..photo,photo and more photo's!!T:

As for cost...thats depends on how carried away you get:D

·
Registered
683 Posts
Dude sounds like a brand new van compared to mine. Saving for a high top roof just now so the kids don't have to be relegated to the awning at night.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
im getting carried away already!!!! Where should i start? pop top? Can any one give me a rough idea on price for a quality paint job????

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
There's a body shop round the back of Chrystal peaks that will do it for about 1500 but not seen any of their work so can't vouch for it. There is also T4tranformation I believe in Wakefield who are apparently very good. (I don't have any connection with either of these by the way), not sure what their prices are though. But it has been said many times on here you get what you pay for, if it sounds too good to be true it probably is.
If you find a good place, that does you a great job let me know coz I'll be looking for mine doing at some stage.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Hey,

Sound like the Perfect Base to do your own, mine is a 1996 800 1.9td with 178 k on the clock and i hav coverted her, and she is looking good, and i cost me Next to nothing.

No rust
No problems
Runs like a dream

My only problem is i have no where to park her, BUT on the road

·
Registered
307 Posts
sounds like a good starter. got my van (LWB 2.5tdi) with 222K on the clock. so yours has loooowww mileage.

reimo do a pop top and rock and roll bed,

Cannons forge www.cannonsforge.co.uk also do a very reasonable (but not tested???) r n r bed with seat belts etc + t4 forum discount if mentioned.

T4's R Us, do bits and bobs

megavanmats for your carpet

ebay is pretty good, but beware you can pay over the odds

and occasionally direct from vw dealers can be cheaper, but not very often

loads of stuff on here... if you can find it
Sounds like my van, except mine was a mere 217k when i got it and now is 222k LWB 2.5TDI also - just started on the inside of mine... was prepping outside for paint but weathers been **** and wasted too many days doing nothing so insulation and carpet, headlining going on at the moment.

Lots of places that will be covered in carpet will not need painting, i wanted to - but the vans for me and resale is a long way down the road - so if the colour doesnt show i dont mind.

Anyway, assess how often you will use the van and how long for and how many people will be using it, then look at how much a conversion that meets your needs will cost at a few places, factor in how much you feel able to complete yourself (save money) and always allow a contingency... you WILL forget something AND change your mind!

It wont be cheap, but there are ways of making it cheaper - search out the best deals and try and do bits yourself. Ask the right questions on here and there is almost always help at hand! Whilst doing the work yourself if competent speed on through but when sourcing parts take your time... GOOD LUCK!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts