VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday morning my T5 was juddering when i put it into gear and lifted the clutch up. But then when I pulled away from a junction i suddenly had no power as in the clutch seemed to be permanently down...

I can turn the engiane on and put it into gear with out putting the clutch down and without it crunching the gears....

Was wondering if it was the fluid?

Do you know where it is so i can check/top the hydraulic fluid up? pictures descriptions?!

Thanks Josh T:

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
The brake fluid reservoir is also the clutch fluid reservoir, a combined unit.
If you look carefully at the rear of the reservoir you'll see a second tube coming off the reservoir, on the R/H side as you look at it. That is the supply to the clutch.
It's a bit difficult to see properly, espicially if the opaque plastic is discoloured/dirty, but you should be able to see the level through the plastic.
The front portion is for the brakes & the rear corner is for the clutch. Internally there is a wall between the two sections with a hole in so that topping up tops the brake section first, then flows through the hole into the clutch section. This prevents a leak in either section affecting the operation of the system without the leak.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Have checked the brake fluid and have found no change in the level. The clutch pedal does go down and back up again but feels much lighter than normal. Whilst pumping the clutch, you can hear an hissing from the engine area. The gears will go in no problem even if the clutch is up and engine is on but the van wont move and you can freely shift through the gears even though the clutch is up. The brakes seem to be a bit stiffer than normal aswell. Could this be a problem in the hydaulic system?

There is no sign of any fluid leaking from what I can see (but that was checked in the dark :( ) Could it be the slave cylinder that has gone on the clutch that is causing the problem? If it is, how easy would it be to access the clutch slave cylinder without having to remove the engine or gearbox?

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
On a flat piece of ground, you could try putting the vehicle in gear, it doesn't matter which one, with the engine switched 'OFF', i.e. not running.
Then try & move the vehicle by pushing. If it moves you've lost the drive from the engine through the clutch. It sounds as though the centre of the clutch friction plate has detached itself from the friction part of the plate. Thus when you press the clutch pedal down there's no spring pressure to return the pedal.
Gearbox out job by the sound of it :eek:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts