VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know which colour 4 pin temp sender I need for the 2.5 petrol (AAF)? Replaced the 2 pin temp sender only to realise it's the one underneath the flange that goes to the dashboard!

There's a number of different coloured ones that I can get - blue seems to be the one most use, but is that just for the TDI?

·
Registered
733 Posts
Hi,

I've got a 1993 2.5i Petrol Caravelle which I replaced the Blue 4 Pin sender (bottom on flange). The old Temp Sender had no nipple but the new one did and was green. I was assure by GSF that the new one (Green with nipple) was the new version out - GSF part number 93494C, which cost £11.60 + VAT. I then realised that the new temp sender was moving the water temp gauge up to quickly, within 5-10 minutes of me Velle running from cold, not been started for other a week, the temp gauge was half way. I then re-fitted the old the temp sender in and it works fine. It turned out that my fuses had blown (above head light) and that the Temp Gauge in dash wasn’t working.

So I now have this new Temp Sender (green with nipple and no box) if someone needs it, as GSF don’t except fitted returned items.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the comparison on your 2.5 - would that make yours the ACU engine?

The sender I took out was yellow and the one I found on ebay has gone in, but still nothing on the dash. Can't work out if the sender, wiring or dash is at fault. Ground and wiring to the aux pump seems OK - in fact when I refilled the coolant and ran till the fans came on the aux pump did come on after for a while. But can't seem to measure a resistance across the other terminals on the sender. Hmmm.. I gather that the blue one has replaced the yellow one, so I've ordered one from justkampers to try out. Now rather wishing I hadn't thrown the original one away so quickly!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Finally got to the bottom of the problem - as far as I can tell not one that's come up on here before.

The physical temp gauge itself had got stuck! Turns out that if for example the sender contacts are shorted (I was doing this to test it, but also think the broken sensor may have done this) the gauge goes off the top of the dial and inside the pin of the moving metal strip leaves the fork of the dial pointer. Net result is the dial drops to zero even thought the metal strip is still bent i.e. reading a temp. Finally found it taking the dash apart and opening up the dials to check they registered with a voltage. Although it took a few goes to realise exactly what was going on - as if the connection was shorted to test the dial would operate properly until it got to the top and dropped to zero again.

So pleased that got it all back working and happy that a garage would probably have spent as long as me getting to the cause!

For future reference - you could tell this had happened as moving the dial of the temp gauge was a lot stiffer than the fuel gauge. Moving the temp dial up through the range allowed the pin of the metal strip to 'ping' back into the slot for the dial pointer. Could well just be my dials by the sound of it though.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh, and the yellow temp gauge sender is giving me a running temp spot on in the middle. I didn't need to fit the other blue one I got. I did find in a manual somewhere that the guage one is yellow, but as they don't seem to be done by VW anymore I think the blue is pretty much the same. The one on the top of the flange is a blue one too. I'll keep hold of this blue one just in case though!

Cheers for the advice and help again!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts