VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have finally got myself a T4, after many years of looking, and the first job I have on my list of many is to fit a decent alarm.
Just wondering which ones I should look at and which ones to avoid?

The initial idea is for me & my brother (he's handy with a soldering iron) to fit the alarm so we're looking for something that doesn't require a degree in car security to fit.
Ideally I would like something with ultrasonics that can be disabled easily, operate the central locking. A bonus would be tilt sensor, proximity sensor, window closure and pager alert.

Any tips for helping us fit one would be welcome. T:

The van is a 1998 2.5 tdi LWB, if that makes any difference.

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
I've just bought and fitted a central locking kit for my 1998 1.9TD and they do an add on alarm kit with ultrasonics, shock sensors window closure etc., but these add on kits also can be fitted independently if you haven't got the central locking kit fitted.

They are really easy to fit due to the awesome instruction kit which is proper well developed and the relays etc. are all integral.

The brains and relays etc., all fit easily behind the fuse box access part of the dash.

I may get laughed off the forum by adding that it was on E bay and it's made by a firm called 'silicon'.

Since I have had it fitted though, I've been nothing but chuffed. It has separate sensitivity adjusters for each feature of the alarm which is wicked for shows and festivals. Also a manual override switch for easy disablement.

I'm not a salesman believe it or not but I was dubious and couldn't have been more happy with it!!

·
Registered
269 Posts
I have just fitted this complete kit, alarm, central locking, electric windows.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-T4-Transporter-Electric-Window-Central-Locking-Kit-Alarm-Tailgate-NEW-/290743409690?pt=UK_Car_Accessories_Safety_Security&hash=item43b1a85c1a
I think it is probably the same kit as mentioned by the previous poster. I had no problems fitting, the kit seems to be of good quality and has all of the features you require, I am very happy. I have also seen this same kit being sold by other well known companies at a higher price.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Went for a Toad ai606 in the end, just over £100 from ebay. This was my favoured one from the start having had Toad alarms on previous cars. At some point in the future I'll be adding to it but so far I have the main bits covered so I can sleep easily at night.

Fitting took us about a day (6 hours or so) and turned out to be easier than expected. Would not hesitate to recommend this alarm and this ebay seller T:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TOAD-Ai606-THATCHAM-CAT-1-CAR-ALARM-NEW-BOXED-UK-DEALER-/310153874765?pt=UK_Car_Accessories_Safety_Security&hash=item48369c8d4d

·
Registered
330 Posts
Toad A101cl for me, well made and fairly easy to fit. I also used Southern car security as supplier from Ebay, seems a good guy, was very helpful when I was figuring out how to wire my central locking up.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Autowatch 458... pretty much the only 'correct' alarm for the T4. ;)

Talk to Upspex for more info. T:
Hi Slimjim, when you say it's the only "correct" alarm for a T4, just wondering what you mean by that ? I have a new T4 caravelle and all the features and options on the various alarm systems are a bit of a minefield. Would be interested to hear from you. Thanks in advance, Sean

1 - 11 of 11 Posts