VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have searched the forums and still don't know which way to go!!
Just purchased a 96 Caravelle with Reimo roof. I am used to aircooled T2's with a gutter so was confused to find no gutter on the T4.
I now know the options are an aftermarket rail, screwed/stuck to the roof or using guy ropes over the top of the van to (plastic) suction pads or down to the wheels.
However................
The Reimo covers the whole of the roof when down obviously and only leaves a few feet at the front when elevated, there may be a foot at most at the back. I don't want the guy ropes to foul on the roof when up so I think that might not be an option. But, I don't really want to screw into the roof of the van to add a multirail.

What are peoples experiences?? Is the rail my only option as I have an elevating roof?? will the rail option foul on the elevating roof? Are there gutters (like a T5) or are the T4's gutterless completely??

Also I am after an awning but I want it to pitch in 10 mins max.......... recommendations??

Many thanks
Dave

·
Registered
327 Posts
I've a LWB T4 with a Reimo pop top and use a multi rail and Khayam Motordome awning. Not cheap, but it works so well. Within 10 minutes of parking I can have the awning up and attached.
I fitted the rail myself- an easier job than I imagined. It takes a little care to line things up (a helper is a good thing!) and it's a bit unnerving drilling into the roof, but it's not a big deal.
Good luckT:

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
I screwed some straight awning rail into the gutter. Costs £15 for 3 x 1.2 m lengths and a bit of sealer, helps if you get some decent screws aswellT:

Available from most caravan shops, or just look for "awning rail" on ebay

Beauty of it is that you can't see the rail, unlike the Reimo one (which also cost 10+ times as much).

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
I just bought this rail... http://www.towsure.com/product/14612-Awning_Rail

On some good advice, I used Sikaflex to stick it into the channel in the roof above the side door... works a treat and no need for screws.

As for an awning... 10 mins max - got to be a Kyham Driveway using the quick-erect system. Takes me about 10 mins including basic pegging on my own...

·
Registered
119 Posts
Fitted a Reimo rail to mine last Sat, two hours with a mate to help out and was surprisingly easy. Can't fault the quality of the Reimo rail, it fits absolutely perfectly. Will try it out with the awning tomorrow if possible but am 100% sure I did the right thing spending £120 on it.
Read the thread on fitting though, important not to spot and drill all the holes at once, do that as you go along or they won't line up due to the curve in the van.

·
Registered
9,434 Posts
Cheap caravan awning rail , simply primed ( sikaflex primer to van van where rail sits) , painted and Sikaflexed on, no screws. Already had sikaflex, primer and rattle can, rails are about £20 at a caravan shop. Used either with a tarp canopy from Decathlon £19.99-pic shows the trim later sewn to the tarp, or my Khyam motordome tourer, no problems since fitted in March.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
i need one of those strip things on your pic but it needs to be the same on both sides, i.e. double beaded, anyone know where i can get one from?

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
i need one of those strip things on your pic but it needs to be the same on both sides, i.e. double beaded, anyone know where i can get one from?
Go-outdoors do them £24 you get a 3m length of double beaded flange and the figure of eight strips as well, they do 2 types, one with the same size bead on both sides which is for khyams etc and the other has a thinner bead on one side which is for the rigid awnings you get on motorhomes.

·
Premium Member
851 Posts
Cheap caravan awning rail , simply primed ( sikaflex primer to van van where rail sits) , painted and Sikaflexed on, no screws. Already had sikaflex, primer and rattle can, rails are about £20 at a caravan shop. Used either with a tarp canopy from Decathlon £19.99-pic shows the trim later sewn to the tarp, or my Khyam motordome tourer, no problems since fitted in March.

That looks like the kind of thing I'm after - but I see that some of these systems use figure of 8 peices etc....doesn't the awning bead simply thread iinto the awning rail on the van? Do you have to drive the van forwards whilst feeding it on?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts