VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all!
I know it's been discussed several times, but I'm interested to see if much has changed. I bought a khyam 'quick erect' drive away awning from fleabay, which I liked part from two things. First, in its bag it was HUGE and took up most of the space in the van! Second, I rent my van out, so the 'quick erect system' is great if you're used to it, but not if you've never used it before.
So, what's the best awning (with a bedroom) for ease of erection (teehee) and which one takes up less space? And of course it needs to be a bargain - goes without saying!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi , I've been looking at a rodeo drive away annexe , they re priced at £219.99 and weigh 12k , I'm not sure what the pack size is but
It's definatley worth a look , if there's anyone out here that's got one I'd like to know how you're getting on with it. ?

·
Registered
31 Posts
So what I have researched and am considering is one of two awnings. Outwell California Highway and Khyam Motor dome sleeper. Both seem really good however I think I am more impressed with the Outwell 2015 as it has a removable ground sheet that can be zipped and removed if (and when!!) the ground makes it dirty and you don't want to mess up the rest of the tent. Has anybody had any experience with these two or have any other suggestions?

Linnsey on here posted some pics of her awning on a post a few weeks ago that seemed really good.

Also if anyone has an Outwell as above and is looking to sell PM my way!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The outwell california looks really smart, and my normal tent is one of theirs, so can definitely vouch for them as decent quality tents.

I've noticed a couple of cheaper ones online, namely the Truism XLS by outdoor revolution, around £229 and then also JustKampers have one called the Outlaw for £225. It's basically a two bedroom tent with a central living space, and a flap too connect up to the van. Is there really £300 difference between this and the Outsell or Khyam? It'll probably be used for about 30 days a year.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Always put a tarp down underneath the groundsheet, to protect from mud and stones. Just make sure it does not protrude beyond the tent footprint.

·
Registered
31 Posts
The outdoor revolution looks really good! especially for the money A:

I am just not sure I am choosing an awning over a tent for the right reasons; we have a carvelle and she is a beauty :D but just because she can partially convert does that mean I should? Would it not be better to get a massive tent like a outwell Montana 6p for near enough the same as a khyam? I can fit the whole family in the tent and have a great experience ŵithout the hassle of dropping the seats, making blinds e.t.c

A bit of helpful advice would be great? I have a 3yr old and 1yr old twins. Camping last year was a great success but now we have the velle......

·
previously known as: baggit
812 Posts
i have the Outwell California highway, great awning, huge but very good T:
would highly recommend it T:

·
Registered
538 Posts
So what I have researched and am considering is one of two awnings. Outwell California Highway and Khyam Motor dome sleeper. Both seem really good however I think I am more impressed with the Outwell 2015 as it has a removable ground sheet that can be zipped and removed if (and when!!) the ground makes it dirty and you don't want to mess up the rest of the tent. Has anybody had any experience with these two or have any other suggestions?

Linnsey on here posted some pics of her awning on a post a few weeks ago that seemed really good.

Also if anyone has an Outwell as above and is looking to sell PM my way!
If you want quick and easy erect that takes up less space, don't go for the Outwell California Highway, I've lost count of the amount of arguments and falling outs my sister & brother-in-law have had pitching this awning :bhd :blg , also after a good downpour the rain tends to gathers on top of the very large piece of loose material which you clip to the tent ( awning ) and van. Outwell make some awesome quality tents but the design of this awning is very poor.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That looks pretty cool, and only a bit above £300...the grey would match the van too, which is obviously one of the most important considerations...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Does anybody know if this awning could be mounted on other side? Saw this on eBay. Nearly the same like foxwing rhino rack, but more space inside and 2.1m tall for vans. It is called Abanico ?? Good quality??

·
Registered
485 Posts
That fan awning looks impressive, looks to be unsuitable for LHS sliding doors though and a bit pricey

I think inflatable awnings are quite popular now, a mate of mine had a airbeam tent and it was pretty quick and easy to put up, and stayed up no issues.

I have a kyham quick erect, yes they are bulky, but other than that I'm happy with it.

·
Registered
61 Posts
The only thing that would make me give up my Khyam is a decent inflatable, but until they come down to a couple of hundred quid it ain't happening.

Have been using Khyam tents for 20 odd years now and nothing else comes close in quickness to put up...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That awning looks amazing! Unless they do a different version though, it's going to end up being over the bonnet, no? Really cool idea though.
My main problem with the Shyam, other than the bulk (just got a new Bedrock bed so fits under that perfectly) is that when I rent my van out to people, they just don't get it. I think it's sturdy and quick top put up, but it requires a certain knack. Unfortunately the knack that most people try to use is brute force. Therefore I think I'm going to go for something more traditional. Know what you mean about the airbag things...theyre still pretty steep. So, based on all the above, I've put all the suggestions into a spreadsheet. It's going to be embarrassing when I present this at tomorrow's meeting instead of the stuff I was meant to be working on, but hey ho...

Make Model Price Sleeps Weight Pack Size
Outdoor Revolution Cayman XLF 279 4 14.5 70x35x30
Outdoor Revolution Turismo XLS 229 2 14
Campershop Outlaw 225 4 21.5 80x30x30
Outdoor Revolution Navigator Kombi 279 4 20 84x50x40
Outdoor Revolution Movelite XLF 259 4 14.5 70x35x30
Outdoor Revolution Cayman Cacos 399 5 22.5 80x45x40
Outwell California 580 5 20.1 82x33x33
Khyam Motordome 499 4 24 107x33x29
Outwell Country Road 399 2 25.4 80x33x33
Outwell Talladega 299 2 20 75x32x32

So looking at price, weight, pack size and space, Outdoor Revolution seem to have the edge...either that or the Outsell Talladega? Don't want to buy something cheap and rubbish though, but I'd like to think they're pretty idiot proof.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts