VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, im new to the vdub camper scene, i have a newly converted T5, and am in the market for a drive away awning, two im looking at the moment are the Khyam driveaway xc, and the Outlaw drive away awning, both are similar size / spec and both sleep four, im going to have a Reimo multi rail fitted for attatchment, has anyone out there had experience of either of these awnings ? and or using them with a Reimo multi rail ?

Many thanks

Gav.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Got a Khayam Motordome Classic and use it with a Reimo rail. Its a brilliant awning and the rail is the best (although not cheap) way to use it. If the xc is a 'quick erect' awning you probably cant go wrong.

·
Premium Member
849 Posts
Hi there
the xc is not a quick erect awning but its a very good bit of kit i got the sleeper motordome loads of room check are pics you then can see what its looks like good luck :)

·
Somebody stop me!
11,941 Posts
Movelite Pro Square is a good bit of kit. Mine came with the 2 berth inner tent, groundsheet and storm straps when most of the time they are all extras. If you want an extra 2 berths you buy a pod that zips into either of the sides and if you really want to you can add two pods which would make it 6 berths! It was by far the heaviest quality awning i came across when i was looking T:T:T:T:

Here is a picture of the awning fitted with a 2 berth pod and one as it is out of the bag T:T:

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
we have the kyham xc awning,its great,plenty of room for us 5,

2 of which sleep in the van,but we all cook and eat and watch the tele in the awning living area,

bags of space and really good head room,

it takes 2 of us about 20 to 30 mins from start to finish,

abit longer to put it away again,but holds up well in the rain and wind,

no dissapointments at all,

·
Registered
109 Posts
another vote for khyam motordome classic ....the fact I can put it up single handed makes it unbeatabe in my eyes..... :jiggy

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Movelite Pro Square is a good bit of kit. Mine came with the 2 berth inner tent, groundsheet and storm straps when most of the time they are all extras. If you want an extra 2 berths you buy a pod that zips into either of the sides and if you really want to you can add two pods which would make it 6 berths! It was by far the heaviest quality awning i came across when i was looking T:T:T:T:

Here is a picture of the awning fitted with a 2 berth pod and one as it is out of the bag T:T:

The pod section looks the biz! One question though...what space do you have between the van and the door of the awning ie the tunnel section? would there be enough room to put a portapotty?

CheersT:

·
Somebody stop me!
11,941 Posts
The pod section looks the biz! One question though...what space do you have between the van and the door of the awning ie the tunnel section? would there be enough room to put a portapotty?

CheersT:
Depends on the size of the loo, Pro Square has a 60cm tunnel. Just had a look at the prices on the awning and i made the right decission buying it at £180; the cheapest i can see them for now is £250 with the annexe at £89. Still good value though considering the quality.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Got a Khayam Motordome Classic and use it with a Reimo rail. Its a brilliant awning and the rail is the best (although not cheap) way to use it. If the xc is a 'quick erect' awning you probably cant go wrong.
Hi thanks for the advice, i've ordered a Khylam and e Reimo rail, is that all i need to attach the awning to the van ? or do i need anything else to attach it ?

Many thanks

Gav.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
we have the kyham xc awning,its great,plenty of room for us 5,

2 of which sleep in the van,but we all cook and eat and watch the tele in the awning living area,

bags of space and really good head room,

it takes 2 of us about 20 to 30 mins from start to finish,

abit longer to put it away again,but holds up well in the rain and wind,

no dissapointments at all,
Hi thanks for the advice, i've ordered one, and ordered a Riemo multi rail to attach it to the van, how do you attach yours to the van ? the reimo rail is a c section rail, will the Kylam attach via this method ?

Many thanks

Gav.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Hi thanks for the advice, i've ordered a Khylam and e Reimo rail, is that all i need to attach the awning to the van ? or do i need anything else to attach it ?

Many thanks

Gav.
Figure of 8 profiles are also handy to have mate but you should find Kyham will have included them with the awning T:

Good choice, Kyham and Multirail, doesn't get any better in my opinion A:

·
Registered
561 Posts
some use very cheap caravan centre extruded aluminium rail which is clever/fine. there is a VW rail which is less than reimo.

If its just an awning you're after, I got a £20 TARP from decathlon plus some heavy duty rubberised taxi magnets off fleabay. Great awning solution.

If its an awning tent, I'm selling my outdoor rev 2+2. Great design, not made anymore. I don't use it now.

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
I made my own from cheap rip stop but that was just a square box off the side of the van worked well

then I got a Justcampers one off a guy on Volksworld site and it's HUGE!!!!!!!!

but I now am thinking of a smaller one as we have gone pop top..

might have mine for sale later in the year.

·
aka, cmp260
423 Posts
some use very cheap caravan centre extruded aluminium rail which is clever/fine. there is a VW rail which is less than reimo.

If its just an awning you're after, I got a £20 TARP from decathlon plus some heavy duty rubberised taxi magnets off fleabay. Great awning solution.

If its an awning tent, I'm selling my outdoor rev 2+2. Great design, not made anymore. I don't use it now.
hi will this extruded rail fit a t5 with a poptop? is there enough room?

·
Registered
561 Posts
normally the extruded rails sit in a depression in the roof patten - VW often have bolts there already (which rust nicely, idiots).

I don't think you have those available with a pop roof so your best bet is to find search for some photographs to see how others have mounted the rail.

There is a vw after market bits company online that sells a cheap rail - about £35 (not as cheap as caravan store) if I remember rightly and they might have a good idea of where it actually mounts to.

Can't remember the name, it was something funky (!) but a good search around here and in google I'm sure you'll find lots of options.

Sorry can't be more specific.

Remember with a rail, you need that 'roped edge' to your awning to thread into the rail. You can buy a 'kadar strip' (think that's what it's called, it has the roped edge) which you then have to attach to your awning if it doesn't have one.

Overall, for our changeable weather you need this rail security for awnings. My Tarp + magnets is nice and versatile for me and cheap but I'm a fair weather camper so it doesn't get really tested by the elements.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts