VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please help!

Me and my missus are about to have our T5 converted and are really struggling to decide which fridge route to take?

The electrical setup for our van will probably be 110A leisure battery with split charge and a 110w solar panel

We are going to be travelling Europe next year in the van so will be living in the van for 9 months! Most of the time we will be on campsites but we are going to try and do as much "wild camping" as possible

As we will be sleeping in the van loads the fridge needs to be very very quiet! The freezer compartment is not that important.

Can anyone help with some suggestions please? Anything will be greatly appreciated

Thanks

·
Special Rapporteur
10,154 Posts
3-way absorption type with gas option is near silent, but you have to chop holes in your van.

Compressor type requires no holes and is most efficient on 12V but noisier (mine doesn't stop me sleeping though).

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Thanks for the fast response

Is it possible to run a compressor fridge on 12v continuously? Does it ever need 240v/Gas every now and then to keep it going? Also most compressor fridges do not have thermostatic control on 12v do they?

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Unless you are a light sleeper you shouldn't have much of a problem with a compressor fridge and noise. Personally I've always gone down the Waeco compressor route and can't fault them (apart from the cost!!).
No problem running it on just 12v, that's what I have been doing for the past 2 years in my current van and the thermostat on the inside of the fridge works whether on 12v or with the optional 240v adapter.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Ive got a weaco CR50 and it only comes on now and again and its not noisy at all, they do bigger ones and top loading versions, they all get good reviews, the freezer part works really well as well and they use the small space they have really well i can fit loads in it i love it.

Also im always accidentally leaving mine on for weeks and its been fine and i only do a 10 mile journey a week, 110ah batt on a split charge.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Ive got a weaco CR50 and it only comes on now and again and its not noisy at all, they do bigger ones and top loading versions, they all get good reviews, the freezer part works really well as well and they use the small space they have really well i can fit loads in it i love it.

Also im always accidentally leaving mine on for weeks and its been fine and i only do a 10 mile journey a week, 110ah batt on a split charge.
Love to know the secret of 'weeks' from a 10 hour journey a week and a 110ah battery :)
I get 3 days most from 2x 120ah leisure batteries before the voltage has hit about 12.2v

·
Registered
83 Posts
I'm looking into this too.
I noticed that the CR 50 has a quoted consumption of 1.4 Ah/h
The CB40 top-loader has consumption of 0.6Ah/h
I'm now trying to figure out where to put the CB40 as it's allegedly 3 times more efficient!

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
I'm now trying to figure out where to put the CB40 as it's allegedly 3 times more efficient!
more efficient because the cold air doesn't fall out when you open the door, i'm trying to work my conversion around the cb40..T:

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Yep I'm going for a CB40 in my next conversion, most of them I've seen fitted seem to be just in front of the wheel arch at the end of the worktop run (if that makes sense!!)
As mentioned above they are more efficient as the cold air doesn't 'fall out'. I've had a CR50 in my current and previous conversions and they are great but when you open the door it just feels like all the cold air wants to get out :) guess that's the same with any front loader though. Note to the OP, don't let that put you off a CR50, they are a lovely bit of kit IMO.

·
Registered
632 Posts
I have a 3 way fridge. Side vents are a bit of an eye saw but can't fault the fridge. Works great on gas and totally silent. Much cheaper option so I can live with the side vents.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Mine came with a 3 way fridge. It takes up a bit more room than the CR50 but it is total silent. I have been told to watch out for rust where the exhaust goes as the fumes are moist and warm just right for rusting.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Love to know the secret of 'weeks' from a 10 hour journey a week and a 110ah battery :)
I get 3 days most from 2x 120ah leisure batteries before the voltage has hit about 12.2v
There is no secret, i have a 110ah batt, upspexs split charge and one of his thicker power cables for the fridge, fridge is at the back of the van batt is under the passenger seat, i leave it on about 3, i put it on about 4 weeks ago to go twycross zoo for the day, forgot to switch it off, went to show someone at work my van last monday opened the fridge and it was still on inc half eaten manky sandwiches inside, ive done this a few times., its cold outside so thats helped but even when i go to cornwall for a week i leave it on all week and its never gone off thats just with light driving around to beaches and at the F1 for 4 days with only a trip to the shop on sat its still fine, love the fridge T: and i only use 12v also ive got lights off 12v and phones charging.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The CB40 fridge looks like the thing to have.......

Shame for me though as it will not fit anywhere with my current van layout....

I think we are going to look a CR65. As we will living in the van I am thinking we will need a bit more fridge space than the CR50 offers. Hopefully with a brand new LB and solar panel we can keep this running most of the time.

I think I will consider switching it off at night sometimes to try and save some energy maybe??

1 - 15 of 15 Posts