VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi people

I have a 57 plate T28 with standard headunit installation.I:
In my previous vehicle I had an all singing all dancing Sony DAB unit with bluetooth and hands free capability. I miss this function as it meant I could make calls on the way to or from a job thereby saving time and ultimately money! T:
I'm not so interested in the sat nav function, more the previous mentioned, but most importantly I want good sound quality, therefore probably DAB ! I'm willing to start again with upgrade of speakers and cables and wondered how difficult a job this is? Of course all this to be done on a budget!!!
I've seen the Kenwood DNX-4210DAB and Pioneer AVH AVH-X5500BT(not DAB) ...just want someone to tell me of their experience and guide me towards what I need!
Thanks
Jenny

·
Premium Member
4,705 Posts
Hi people

I have a 57 plate T28 with standard headunit installation.I:
In my previous vehicle I had an all singing all dancing Sony DAB unit with bluetooth and hands free capability. I miss this function as it meant I could make calls on the way to or from a job thereby saving time and ultimately money! T:
I'm not so interested in the sat nav function, more the previous mentioned, but most importantly I want good sound quality, therefore probably DAB ! I'm willing to start again with upgrade of speakers and cables and wondered how difficult a job this is? Of course all this to be done on a budget!!!
I've seen the Kenwood DNX-4210DAB and Pioneer AVH AVH-X5500BT(not DAB) ...just want someone to tell me of their experience and guide me towards what I need!
Thanks
Jenny
Hi Jenny.

We highly recommend the Pioneer AVH-X3500DAB, has DAB, 6.1" touch screen, full iPod control, DVD, Bluetooth handsfree, reverse camera input, it is by far the most popular double din radio for the T5, also if you have a iPhone 4/4s etc you can do a sat nav app, allowing it to mirror on to the screen, also has excellent feed back from lots of members.

We now find selling a non DAB unit impossible, so makes second hand values vey low, so if you purchase one now and decide a year down the road to upgrade to DAB, it will not be worth much.

Regarding speakers again The Pioneer TS-H1703 component speakers are top, 6.5" mid/woofers for the doors and tweeters for the dash, under the grills, mount the speakers on wooden collars, and a bit of soundproof T:

Regarding installation, we supply full fitting instructions written by us, and all the tech help you want over the phone...

·
Registered
70 Posts
Hi Jenny.

We highly recommend the Pioneer AVH-X3500DAB, has DAB, 6.1" touch screen, full iPod control, DVD, Bluetooth handsfree, reverse camera input, it is by far the most popular double din radio for the T5, also if you have a iPhone 4/4s etc you can do a sat nav app, allowing it to mirror on to the screen, also has excellent feed back from lots of members.

We now find selling a non DAB unit impossible, so makes second hand values vey low, so if you purchase one now and decide a year down the road to upgrade to DAB, it will not be worth much.

Regarding speakers again The Pioneer TS-H1703 component speakers are top, 6.5" mid/woofers for the doors and tweeters for the dash, under the grills, mount the speakers on wooden collars, and a bit of soundproof T:

Regarding installation, we supply full fitting instructions written by us, and all the tech help you want over the phone...
Hi what price are you doing the pioneers for.
Cheers Andy.

·
Premium Member
4,705 Posts
What age T5 do you have and do you require a iPod lead?

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
Another vote for the 3500DAB at £289.99
The next model up in the 950DAB at £799 typically but you get SATNAV and many more toys

What you have to consider is what phone you use.
The 950DAB is more expensive but is iPhone 5 friendly
Everything else is just compatible

·
Premium Member
4,705 Posts
Any chance you could fire me a cost too? I'm looking to get a headunit sorted asap. Same model 2010 5.1 facelift. Does the 3500 work with the iPhone 5s?

Thanks
All doneT:

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Ive just fitted an 3500 DAB and I'm no auto sparky, it was very straightforward. However, a word of warning you need more than just the head unit. You will need DAB Aerial, IPOD leads, Mic leads etc. You might get the headunit cheaper elsewhere but then get mugged on the extras. but a BIG plug for Absolut Audio. Everything I needed plus importantly an instant answer or 2 to some dumb questions. T:

The unit is brill and with my iphone 4s and the Auto App, even better.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks everyoneT: especially Absolut5 for your speedy response.

Could you send me an installation quote too please? I have an iphone5 so yes I like the latest gadgets but not sure I can run to the higher spec model :(

Jenny

·
Registered
505 Posts
I've just started to look into which stereo to go for in my 2008 T5. Came across this thread so thought I'd add to this one rather than starting a new one, hope you don't mind.

My requirements are slightly different, I'm not that interested in DAB (don't listen to the radio much) and plan on keeping the head unit for a long time anyway.

I'm looking for:
Double DIN
Reversing camera
Ability to play music from iPhone and Sony android phone
Dvd (maybe linking to an extra screen in the back at some point in the future)
Would like to be able to display Sat nav from my sony phone too if possible.

Been looking at this sony one:
http://www.roadradio.com/Sony/XAV-601BT/
not sure if it has the ability for a reversing camera or not, like the idea of the mirror link though as I plan on getting the sony xperia Z next which is compatible with it.

I'm open to advice and opinions though. Any help will be appreciated, cheers in advance.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Been doing some more research and wondering if it's worth me going for this one as I don't listen to the radio much?

http://www.roadradio.com/Pioneer/AVH-X2500BT/

seems to be very similar to the one recomended in this thread except it's not DAB.

I know it might not seem like much of a saving and some might say pay the extra for the DAB but I'm already spending loads on the first stage of converting our van. I plan on fitting the new stereo at the same time as an extra so cost needs to watched before it all starts spiralling out of control.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Now I look rude...I swear I posted a reply especially to Absolut5 for the speedy response, clearly not! No wonder my other questions weren't answered!
I have an iphone5 and could you inbox me a price too please?
Thanks in advance
Jenny

1 - 17 of 17 Posts