VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys,

Another thread on hob and sink units. We're in the initial stages of conversion and have bought a tailgate van, specifically as we'd like our hob and sink fitted in a drawer that slides out the back of the van from under the full width RnR bed. I've found a chap that will make our bed unit and drawer etc...

I suppose the question I'm asking is have many people done this before? What hob/sink unit did you go for and why? The gas bottle and pipes will be stored in the drawer and connected to the hob, but we're not fussed about a working tap. We're happy carrying water and filling the sink from a bottle as we go.

Thanks for any advice/tips on combination units.

:)

·
Registered
476 Posts
I'm in a similar situation designing mine at the moment and will probably opt for using the small portable gas stove with the built in gas cartridge and then use a small washing up bowl.
The reason I decided not to go for a smev is that by the time you fit the gas bottle and clean/waste water containers there is not much room left for a kettle, plates food etc.
The slide outs with a smev hob/sink look fantastic but for me the price and practicality don't add up. My biggest dilemma was if I fit a smev I could re-classify my van as a camper which I don't think I can do with a portable cooker/sink set up.
Anyway keep us posted with what solution you come up withT:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah I'll let you know fella. Doesn't necessarily have to be Smev. Seen similar units such as Croner/Cromer (sp?). Wondered what people had used, and if they'd do it any differently next time around :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi,

have just spotted your post and we did exactly what you seem to be looking for. If you look at usedcarsni.com and search vw shuttle you will see our silver one for sale. We are reluctantly trying to sell as building a house but you can see all the photos of ours, and reclassified as camper, works really well and keeps all space up front for baby/ dog etc!!!!

Mack

1 - 4 of 4 Posts