VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Forge is expensive at £400+. It also appears to use the clip style hoses which are problematic.

Currently my gut is to go with the darkside developments one. Its £225 and looks like you can use their (hardpipe & silicone)kit, thus removing the problem of the VW clips...

I have no experience with either so would welcome some input.

Are there others that come recommended?

Cheers

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Unfortunately they dont appear to do one for the 1.9 engine which is whst ive got. Didnt stare that before sorry.
It also still uses the vw clip system on the pipes which i really want to get away from if possible ...

·
Super Moderator
9,193 Posts
Look at the 5.1 gp facelift ic as it's bigger and doesn't have the silly clips. It's also cheap compared with the others T: my forge ic keeps splitting through the welds :( but then I do run over 2 bar boost.

·
Premium Member
4,075 Posts
Unfortunately they dont appear to do one for the 1.9 engine which is whst ive got. Didnt stare that before sorry.
It also still uses the vw clip system on the pipes which i really want to get away from if possible ...
This is the one you would use that doesn't have the hose clips:-
http://www.wagner-tuning.uk/200001031.html

Mark is the UK Wagner importer, he may give you a slight deal in return for a little forum feedback when you fit it etc.

I rate Forge products and I even let them use our old Audi S3 to develop there intercooler kit on but for the t5 I still think the Wagner intercooler is a better product.

Just take a look at the pictures below of the Darkside, Forge, Wagner etc.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Martin.
I've just gone ahead and ordered the darkside one.

Price was one deciding factor, the darkside IC being 1/2 the price of the others. It also doesn't use the VW clips which the others do which is seemingly where the weak link is. While the others may perform better I'm not particularly after performance I just want reliability, which I hope this will give.

My IC is actually fine so will end up on eBay or the for sale section here.

It's only the pipes / clips that have gone. While the turbo still has the clip on it I can't afford to replace that. So I'm hoping this will resolve my problems.

I'll let you know by the end of the week.

Cheers fellas T:

·
Premium Member
4,075 Posts
Thanks Martin.
I've just gone ahead and ordered the darkside one.

Price was one deciding factor, the darkside IC being 1/2 the price of the others. It also doesn't use the VW clips which the others do which is seemingly where the weak link is. While the others may perform better I'm not particularly after performance I just want reliability, which I hope this will give.

My IC is actually fine so will end up on eBay or the for sale section here.

It's only the pipes / clips that have gone. While the turbo still has the clip on it I can't afford to replace that. So I'm hoping this will resolve my problems.

I'll let you know by the end of the week.

Cheers fellas T:
I am sure the Darkside one will be fine and it will be way better than the OE VW one.
I only fitted the Wagner intercooler as I have the 2.5 with a PPTuning exhaust and I wanted it to be able to do the job well as I am fitting a hybrid turbo.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Look forward to hearing how you get on. I am almost ready for the hard pipe kit from darkside and that works out cheaper if you get an intercooler I: I already have the egr delete from them

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok. Note to others. Do not do this at night in the rain. That is all. :(

Doing this by myself was generally ok. You don't 'need' another pair of hands, but I wouldn't refuse the offer if it was there.

Removing the old is easy enough. I used the guide by vw mag: http://www.vwtmag.com/tech-guides/upgrade-a-t5-intercooler-499

The harder part was installing the new as no instructions were sent which slowed down the process some what.

Boost problem solved.

New boost problem encountered.

The only 'clip connection' is from the turbo. However the new alloy connector was a pig to get in. By which I mean it was impossible.

I contacted DS stating as such, the response being use grease and push harder. Sounds fair enough. However, that was until I pushed to hard (using part of a pulley puller in reverse. Rather than explain how I did this further, lets just say it was a LOT of force) that the turbo side of the connection broke. While trying to put the collar in, it must have twisted 1mm and..... crack

There are no words that explain what 'emotion' i felt at that moment. :(

Suffice to say I was not / am not happy.

While everything else is now in place, as soon as the boost kicks in the van squeals like a pig from the turbo connection. (All other connections are solid).

I don't like unexpected learning experiences. Not when they will likely cost me an arm, a leg, a few days labour and £500 (replacement turbo) to £1500 (turbo upgrade inc necessary bits) a a month or so before Santa's meant to arrive.

Currently talking to a few people to see what the best fix would be.

·
Premium Member
4,075 Posts
Ok. Note to others. Do not do this at night in the rain. That is all. :(

Doing this by myself was generally ok. You don't 'need' another pair of hands, but I wouldn't refuse the offer if it was there.

Removing the old is easy enough. I used the guide by vw mag: http://www.vwtmag.com/tech-guides/upgrade-a-t5-intercooler-499

The harder part was installing the new as no instructions were sent which slowed down the process some what.

Boost problem solved.

New boost problem encountered.

The only 'clip connection' is from the turbo. However the new alloy connector was a pig to get in. By which I mean it was impossible.

I contacted DS stating as such, the response being use grease and push harder. Sounds fair enough. However, that was until I pushed to hard (using part of a pulley puller in reverse. Rather than explain how I did this further, lets just say it was a LOT of force) that the turbo side of the connection broke. While trying to put the collar in, it must have twisted 1mm and..... crack

There are no words that explain what 'emotion' i felt at that moment. :(

Suffice to say I was not / am not happy.

While everything else is now in place, as soon as the boost kicks in the van squeals like a pig from the turbo connection. (All other connections are solid).
U
I don't like unexpected learning experiences. Not when they will likely cost me an arm, a leg, a few days labour and £500 (replacement turbo) to £1500 (turbo upgrade inc necessary bits) a a month or so before Santa's meant to arrive.

Currently talking to a few people to see what the best fix would be.
Remove the turbo and get someone to TIG weld an alley stub on the turbo outlet and then use a dubilee clip and small length of silicone hose, it would also be one less joint to pop off.
Something like this but cut down obviously:-
http://ebay.to/1GLlzgz

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Cheers #martin33100

Has anyone come across a decent guide with pics for turbo removal? I've only seen text instructions which will be a pain in the I: to follow.

Much appreciated

·
Premium Member
4,075 Posts
Cheers #martin33100

Has anyone come across a decent guide with pics for turbo removal? I've only seen text instructions which will be a pain in the I: to follow.

Much appreciated
There is a few guides around on the forum, to make life much easier I know it's best to remove the rear engine mount bracket from the engine block to allow more access to the turbo.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Hi I have both the DS Intercooler and their pipe work. I too had a job fitting the pipe to the turbo. If you look at the machined end you need to sand down the lugs. Not off the top but from both sides. This will allow it to fit correctly into the turbo inlet pipe. I too have a perfectly good 130 turbo that I would sell if you need it. I replaced mine with a 174 turbo. I also have the EGR delete from DS. I must say it was difficult to get it all to fit. I fitted all this before changing turbo and having the van remapped. At the same time I fitted a decat 2.5 exhaust from Cybox. All of which made a big difference in power and the way the van drove.
Ian

·
Premium Member
4,075 Posts
Hi I have both the DS Intercooler and their pipe work. I too had a job fitting the pipe to the turbo. If you look at the machined end you need to sand down the lugs. Not off the top but from both sides. This will allow it to fit correctly into the turbo inlet pipe. I too have a perfectly good 130 turbo that I would sell if you need it. I replaced mine with a 174 turbo. I also have the EGR delete from DS. I must say it was difficult to get it all to fit. I fitted all this before changing turbo and having the van remapped. At the same time I fitted a decat 2.5 exhaust from Cybox. All of which made a big difference in power and the way the van drove.
Ian
Just wondered who did you mapping? as I am doing the same turbo upgrade on my 130.
I currently have the Wagner intercooler and PPTuning exhaust, I am also going to fit the Cybox dummy decat downpipe when I swap the turbo's over.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I too have a perfectly good 130 turbo that I would sell if you need it.
HI Ian,
I'm out of the loop with regards to what fits what engine. Mines the AXB 105HP. If the turbo was plug and play I may be interested. At the end of the day I just want a van that runs. It's powerful enough for me (it's certainly enough for my clutch which is on the way out :( ), but I do't mind adding to it.

From a quick read, it seems I may need a whole host of parts to retrofit it and then remap it in which case it's out of the question for me.

If you can let me know (assuming you know whats needed for my engine) and what sort of price you are thinking, if i don't have it, someone else may be interested.

Cheers

1 - 20 of 26 Posts