VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi i have a 98 t4 2.5d and i am looking to see which layout to go for in the van so was looking for some advice or pointers to build threads to see if i have missed any. i will be using the van to transport mx bikes and when not doing that will be ferrying around my 2 young children. so i was wondering about a rnr bed full width can you position these close to the front seats as all i have seen have been at the rear. they dont have to be quick release as if im away on the bikes i can take the bed out day before. was thinking of full width as looking atng at the odd night away with wife and kids so thought we could all bunk up in it. or am i dreaming about what i want and what i can have...

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Mate,

Let me tell you a story about a bloke that had the same idea as you...........

He brought his van (T4 2.4d swb) with the intension of using it for lugging his Wr400 around, sleeping in it at events and transporting his girlfriend & 3 kids around. (One van to do EVERYTHING - Good plan!)

The reality is that the carpeted interior get covered in mud, the bike drops oil on the floor, the van stink of fuel as well as the unmistakable stench of sweaty mx kit, to use the bed you have to empty everything out of the van into the rain (assuming you are gonna use it in this country!) and then you have to put up with the kids moaning throughout the following week that the van stinks!

Solution?

I ended up with a 2 bike trailer on which I welded a large tool chest (Only one bike so used the chest for my sweaty kit and fuel)
and used the van for sleeping/transporting the kids etc

I'm not saying that it CAN'T be done, but think long and hard about what you want the van for and alternatives!

Good luck with your build, whatever you decide! T:

·
Registered
310 Posts
I had the same idea with 4 mountain bikes. I have got mud on the carpet inside. I have a 4 bike rack on the back. The inside has multi van seats which are great. The kids are set back from us in the front and they have their own tv.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts