VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
Just got my hands on a set of 18" Sportlines, £200 (with tyres too, yeeew!)! T: These are replacing my steels on my T5 and i'll need a set of locking wheel bolts.
Had bad experiences with the VW lockers for my T4 (pins in the socket sheared off), so went with McGard. Been looking on here for the correct part number and have found people advising 5 different types (all McGard)...

(1) Part number: 28032
Thread size: M14x1.5
Seat: radius/sphere
Shank length: 34.5 mm
Hex size: 17 mm

(2) Part number: 28044
Shank length: 37.1 mm
Hex size: 19 mm

(3) Part number: 27181SU
Seat: taper/cone
Shank length: 29.0 mm
Hex size: 17mm

And putting my van reg in to the McGard website, it recommends...

(4) Part number: 28018
Shank length: 26.7 mm
Hex size: 17 mm

(5) Part number: 28175
Thread Size: M12x1.5
Seat: Radius/Sphere
Shank Length: 23.3mm
Hex Size: 17mm

Halfords recommended number (3) from above, but the original bolts from my steels have a radius seat (not taper).

Most people on here have used the original bolts from their steels on the the sportlines, but can anyone tell me which set of McGards most closely matches the originals?

Does it matter if the Hex size of the locker is 17mm and the others are 19's?

A bit lost. Anyone got any advice to offer here, or could point me in the right direction?:ILU:

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
I would also like to know, as you say I popped into Halfords with the same question, but as usual unless I took an existing bolt in with me they couldn't say which one I needed. It was hissing with rain at the time so I couldn't drum up the enthusiasm to start taking the centre caps off and removing bolts etc.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cheeky bump....:D
This would really help us (and others out).
Surely somebody on here has a set of Mcgard locking bolts on their sportline alloys, but which part number...?:confused:

·
Registered
280 Posts
I've got 18" sportlines on and use orig bolts plus a locker... Tbh I wanted a nice set of bolts for em as the vw orig go rusty but other bolts don't seem man enough for the job.. As the vw are pretty heavy duty ... And the tapered washer fits nice in the alloy hole and other smaller bolts didn't. Don't want bolts shearing off etc lol !:(

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've got 18" sportlines on and use orig bolts plus a locker... Tbh I wanted a nice set of bolts for em as the vw orig go rusty but other bolts don't seem man enough for the job.. As the vw are pretty heavy duty ... And the tapered washer fits nice in the alloy hole and other smaller bolts didn't. Don't want bolts shearing off etc lol !:(
Cheers mate, yeah I'll go down that route then if it worked well for you. Were the locking bolts vw ones or a different brand?

·
Registered
280 Posts
Cheers mate, yeah I'll go down that route then if it worked well for you. Were the locking bolts vw ones or a different brand?
lockers are vw mate... Lots of bolt sets on eBay that are listed to fit the T5 , I've actually bought a set but as I say they looked like small car wheel bolts and just not heavy duty enough for the t5 imo .....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts