VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys im in the process of searching for a t4 but so confused. Ive got about 3.5k for one.

What are the different models and which are best. Ive heard the 1.9´s are pretty flat and tedius to drive and the 2.5 tdi´s are the best. is this correct. also what are the 2.4 diesls like. Ae there and guides out and about. Ive searched the website high and low lol. Thanks in advance for any help

kev

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
1.9td and 2.5tdi are the ones you want. 1.9 n/a will struggle In most situations. The 2.4 is an older engine so I believe. I have a 1.9td. Pulls fine fully loaded and copes with the Cornish landscape no problemT: I get around 35mpg out of mine. Think a 2.5tdi you get a bit more but will cost you more in servicing and forever plugging into vagcom to find fault codes:D1.9td is simples

·
Registered
122 Posts
from what i have read the 1.9s are very gutless and slow i brought a 2.5 tdi with the blue i, its not the quickest by any means but will cruise and pull fairly well upto 85ish and sit at 90 on the private road if needed fully loaded camper conversion.

Not sure about the the other models as i know theres about 3 varients alone of the 2.5 tdi but i would always look for the 2.5 tdi's first mate

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
from what i have read the 1.9s are very gutless and slow i brought a 2.5 tdi with the blue i, its not the quickest by any means but will cruise and pull fairly well upto 85ish and sit at 90 on the private road if needed fully loaded camper conversion.

Not sure about the the other models as i know theres about 3 varients alone of the 2.5 tdi but i would always look for the 2.5 tdi's first mate
cheers mate

how can you tell the difference between the 3 different variations

thanks again

·
Registered
1,416 Posts

Why would you want to do 85-90:* life in the slow lane is what it's about. Take in the views. As long as you have enough grunt to cope with the hills, speed don't come into it.

·
Registered
122 Posts
just checked and two output variants of the 2.5 88hp the blue i and 102hp the latter will have an intercooler.

and true about the speed but i also tow a jetski so need a bit more grunt on hills etc

·
Registered
725 Posts
I've got a 1996 N reg 2.4d Caravelle with 150k on the clock. Nice and simple to maintain and therefore, in theory, a bit cheaper on the maintenance bills.

As far as performance is concerned, I've had absolutely no issues with the speed and power. However, I don't have her set-up as a full camper with cupboards and rock 'n' roll bed, so she is lighter than most. She's not a daily drive yet and I also don't need to get anywhere in a hurry, so I'm happy holding 60-70mph on the motorway and not fussed about overtaking bursts of speed and so far I've not been anywhere overly hilly!! :D

Depends on what you want out of the vehicle really, what your on-going budget is like and what your spannering skillz amount to. It's a 'how long is a bit of string' question, so you will get varying answers!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
cheers guys for the responses

so there are two 2.5 tdi models not 3 is that wright a 88 and a 102 only which has intercooler.

cheers for such fast responses, an ace website too:)

·
Registered
3,713 Posts

Youve never had a 1.9 then? Mines neither slow nor sluggish:* 3 tweaks that are totally free other than an hour or so of your time sort that outI: Plus 2.5 will not run 100 veg without mods the 1.9 td and 2.4 will;)
Mine will do 95 all day but its illegalI:
And all my servicing is a stack cheaper:*

But if youve read it it must be right:*

·
Registered
11,100 Posts
cheers guys for the responses

so there are two 2.5 tdi models not 3 is that wright a 88 and a 102 only which has intercooler.

cheers for such fast responses, an ace website too:)
yep, 2 x 2.5tdi's, as said above, blue i is 88hp and no intercooler,however can boost the hp, with injector change and an intercooler,102hp is a silver i, again can boost the hp,as high as 150,with different injectors,intercooler and a remap.i have had an 88hp blue i,for 4 years full conversion, and towed a heavy funfair ride,with no issues on power T:

i know someone selling a 2.5tdi caravelle,excellent base for conversion I: me :D

·
Registered
122 Posts
when i was looking i was told by someone that had a 1.9 to buy a 2.5 as the 1.9's were slow and sluggish no need to get your knickers in a twist over it.

I never test drove a 1.9 becuase an owner told me it would be slow / sluggish when fully loaded as a camper and becuase i tow a jetsk,i i also wouldnt want to run the van on vegatable oil either.

Depends on what you want the bus to do i guess

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
yep, 2 x 2.5tdi's, as said above, blue i is 88hp and no intercooler,however can boost the hp, with injector change and an intercooler,102hp is a silver i, again can boost the hp,as high as 150,with different injectors,intercooler and a remap.i have had an 88hp blue i,for 4 years full conversion, and towed a heavy funfair ride,with no issues on power T:

i know someone selling a 2.5tdi caravelle,excellent base for conversion I: me :D

haha how much tell me more.

so the 1.9 tdi still also runs well thats good to know. are there variations of this model too?

is the 2.4 diesle much different to the 1.9 tdi then eg torqe and bhp?

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
I would tend to disagree with some of the comments... Firstly the 1.9td is notorious for the bottom pulley shearing the wood ruff key and have common wobbly vibration dampers, just search for the disaster stories re them engines on here with what happens when they slip :eek:

The 1.9d on its own, well, I got one, and the pickup is great, very economical and mines very pokey too, but yeah, 65-70, then your about done, after that, your fuel is going down and the noise is going up.

The above vans are the cheapest Ive come across for servicing regarding parts since they share across the VAG range, and are very easy to work on your self, with the engines being smaller, plenty of access and room, no diagnostic equipment/ecu etc.

The 2.4d are also quite simple to work on (minus glow plug change!) and solid engine to work on, the AAB are the early ones and the AJA are the later ones (with steel head gaskets) and are solid work horse engines often in the syncro's for over landing, no turbos to blow, no dodgy electrics or ecu's to cause problems out and about in the field. These enginges seem to last forever and ive seen them with astronomical miles on. Great PP3 candidates too. Ive Got 2 of these :D

The 3 above vans love vege oil too :)

So without any bias from me ;) just a different angle, but, I guess you gotta ask your self what you want out of it, budget etc :ILU:

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
when i was looking i was told by someone that had a 1.9 to buy a 2.5 as the 1.9's were slow and sluggish no need to get your knickers in a twist over it.

I never test drove a 1.9 becuase an owner told me it would be slow / sluggish when fully loaded as a camper and becuase i tow a jetsk,i i also wouldnt want to run the van on vegatable oil either.

Depends on what you want the bus to do i guess

yeah it is to do a camper conversion so will have some weight on board

·
Premium Member
832 Posts
ive got a 2003 tdi (102) caravelle, we have just come back from cornwall and we travelled around from our base in camelford with 8 of us in it and had no issues at all, pulls like a train, good motorway drive and not bad on juice. This is my first t4 so i dont know about any of the others....but i like mine and am very pleased with it. Hope this is of some assistance:)

·
Registered
11,100 Posts
haha how much tell me more.
2001, blue,short wheel base,8 seater,motd till april 13,tax end august,lowered,rs6 alloys,bonnet bra,170k,drives excellent,plenty of power, £3500 T:

its had stickers on the side,which when removed have peeled the laquer off a bit,2001's sell for anything up to £8k on ebay.this one leaves plenty of room to get you on the ladder,and convert at your leisure T:

·
Registered
286 Posts
Mines a 800 special 1.9td, yeah there not racing machines but you can sensibly tweak em and there go for ever. Easy and cheap to work on.Pretty basic but so cool. Love all t4s tho.
Who cares about all the gadgets tho- there gonna go wrong one day!
When looking for mine.really thought about the 2.5tdi but decided against. Mechanically mines hardly cost me a penny in the years ive had it.
My mate has an 02 2.5tdi hes had electrical probs and had to pay for the dual mass flywheel i believe. Ouch!
I'll keep the 1.9td any day:)

1 - 20 of 54 Posts