VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my first T5 1.9 and would like some advice about oil types and frequency of changes, i only do about 8000 miles a year but regardless of mileage have always changed the oil in any of the vehicles i have owned at least once a year . I notice VAG only reccomend their long life fully syntetic oil , would i be wasting money buying long life oil if i changed it this frequently or would a normal fully synthetic do if changed annually. I have read that long life oils are mainly aimed at fleet owners to keep servicing costs down and the best way to look after your engine is to change the oil a lot more frequently than the handbook suggests , any advice appreciated.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Would always recommend longlife as we all intend to service regularly but all to often something else crops up and longlife is not that expensive if you shop around T:

·
Registered
440 Posts
I have worked for many motor factors and I've always been told oil is oil, its just the marketing behind it that people buy into.

I use Comma stuff in mine and do a change every 6/12 months for buttons, filters are about £4 if that.

·
Registered
886 Posts
side of diff cassing square drive refill drain on bottom 10 min max easy job wait till oil comes out of refill job done piece of p*ss *<:)>

·
Premium Member
1,293 Posts
Oh and gearbox has a drain on the bottom and a fill plug close to n/s drive shaft. oil from vw and think you'll need to buy 3 litres but you'll have half litre ish for future Top up again from memory can confirm if u pm me in the morning
Regards
Dan

·
Registered
736 Posts
The metod to change gearbox oil as descriibed is diffennt on the 2.5 its much easier to refill as the bung is on the front of the box always get van hot before doing this and take filler bung out first as you dont want to drain oil then find you cant undo filler plug should all go easy enough though

1 - 9 of 9 Posts