VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:dunno: Hoping for help here, I want to put a rail system in the rear of a '98 T4 SWB for use with a Cannon's Forge R&R 3/4 seat/bed with integral seat belts so that the seat can slide from the front to the rear & be removed to maximise use of space for several use options from sports to camping.
If this can be done, what price would I be looking at, are the rail systems easy to install or would it be best left to a pro?

Cheers in advance

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
I dont think you will have much luck trying to fit a cf rnr bed onto rails, plus you have a lot of things to think about.

Most rail systems are bonded and bolted into the floor, you wont have the rail fixings, and these would have to be modified anyway to fit, there might be a lot of work to get the bed to accept the rail fixings.

Ironically the cf rnr bed is likely to be heavier than any of the bed systems that use a rail, even though at the moment it is not safety tested (I am not saying they are not safe, simply they are not pull/crash tested). The rails may not be rated for that weight. and who knows what would happen in an accident - it is an unknown quantity.

It would probably be better to get 2 sets of mounting points for the bed fitted to the van and move it when you want to (not as simple, but probably much simpler/safer if you already have the rnr bed).

John R

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Cheers John, great advice :cheers

I haven't got the R&R bed yet but now you've said about the push/pull testing I'm having second thoughts as the kids will be using it as seating on the move...

Think I'll probably go with the two mounting points if I choose to go down this path.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
396 Posts
mine was out of another brand van and has worked very well if you look at red or dead on team red its on there they are out of a toyota
si

·
Registered
362 Posts
i have seats and rails from a mazda bongo the seats are obviosly designed for mass production and hence must have passed a safety test, as long as you get bolts where there are ment to be bolts on the rails, and the seat belts ive seen them adapted and im doing mine now but you can bolt them to the slider part of the base so that they move with the seat, you need really to make a bracket up so that the belt sits upright or it will keep jamming, when ive figured the photo thing out on here ill stick a few up,
ps the bongo seats i find conftable to sleep on but others dont some camper conversions use them ( ive seen them in vans up at bilbos) i checked then out while i was there and decided i likes the versitlity i got lwb and get 8 people and a cooker/sink, safe, spare battery, and a big gas bottle in, plus cupboards for food etc and thers still a whole heap more space than a large estate car in the back. whole lot of rails seats and belts cost me £140

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
T: Thanks to everyone for the advice, still not sure which avenue I'll go down as I think I'll be using the bed more than the kids will be using the seat...which leads me to a Cannons Forge bed again although I still want something safe for them.
I think Jar's idea of twin fixings will probably be the way to go & "should" keep it simple :gl

1 - 7 of 7 Posts