VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm going to fit side windows into my van, but i'm undecided about which ones to go for.

the windows are going in because i've got a bench seat to go in the back (on rails), i'm going to have 3 kids riding back there and i don't want them to be sitting in the dark. so i was thinking i'd just get clear windows to match the cab doors.

and now i'm thinking i might need windows with the sliding openers, so the kids don't cook on hot days... but i can't find clear glass ones. i don't think i want privacy glass, and i don't know how odd 'smoked' glass would look with clear glass on the cab doors.

and then there's the choice of whether to have the opener at the front or rear of the glass?

and finally, how secure are they and are they watertight?

anyone got any recommendations on which windows to go for? or tales of woe about which windows not to fit?

cheers all. :)

·
Registered
513 Posts
Don't discount the darker glass you would be pleasantly surprised how much light limo glass lets in....

Cheers Tim

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hi, I agree with Tim. I put clear glass in my first van and it felt like sitting in a fish bowl.
Also tint will keep the temp down on those hot days, if we get them,!!,

·
Registered
54 Posts
In the interest of compromise, does anywhere do lightly tinted windows? I agree that limo tint just looks way too dark. Something like regular car tint would be ideal.

·
Want Electrics? Go Wildebus!
8,258 Posts
I went from all totally clear glass all round to replacement dark tinted windows all round (apart from drivers can area of course) and I much prefer it from both appearance side and privacy side (looking in). And as far as being inside looking out, makes very little real-world difference, so I would recommend tinted for sure :)

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
cheers all. i think i'm pretty much sold on the privacy glass now then. :)

anyone got an opinion on the opening windows? maybe the kids won't need them if the privacy glass stops the sun cooking them in the first place.

·
Registered
513 Posts
I would have openers on both sides, better to have them and being able to use them than not have them and wished you had. ��

Cheers
Tim

·
Registered
147 Posts
When I was doing my van I wasn't considering openers tbh until one really hot day and it was stifling!
So opted for twin sliders!
Kids love them they are in privacy tint and rear opening so kids can open them when seated!

·
Registered
161 Posts
I have just changed my offside fixed middle window for a privacy tint slider, from Just Kampers, very happy with it, I might change the sliding door window for another slider. The original middle windows were genuine VW light tint with privacy film applied.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts