VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, first post and looking for some advice on which T5, which is the best/ most reliable engine to go for (as heard lots of worrying things:( ). It will be my first T5 after owning 4 T4's my current pride and joy for sale on flea bay:(
Anyways after owning four great T4's dont want to go selling mine to find that T5's are as bad as some people say. Main points are to convert to camper/ day van and will need to tow a horsebox+horse once in a while (I know!?! missis!).
Im sure its probably been covered a thousand times but I dont seem to be able to find it. Any advice, positive and negative experiences would be gladly appreciated:) Churs!

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Coming to the dark side eh?

Try the thread entitles "Are T5s basically any good" in the T5 Articles and Information section in the T5 forum. It's a good place to start.

For some reason, I can't copy the link to the post, sorry.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quite possibly;) Just dont wanna end up with one needing a new gearbox or turbo or mixing oil with water!?!? lol
Thanks for your replyT:

·
Registered
625 Posts
Well i have had my 1.9 T30 lwb since febuary last year, I have covered 18,000 miles and have had no issues at all in that time.

Total costs have been,

Interim service, £240
Rear disc's & pads £240

And thats it............ Well apart from Alloy wheels, roof spoiler, caravelle headlights, mk6 golf steering wheel, new gearstick gator and knob, Floor mat and tow bar and new radio cd playerI:I:

And this saturday cam belt, water pump and Mot.

And i dont mind one bit, Because i know when i come to sell the van she still will be worth im hoping at least half what i paid for it.

The 1.9 seems to be the one that appears to be more reliable judging by the post's on here.

·
Registered
11 Posts
hi mate:
1 how big is the horse box
2 how heavy is the horse
3 how far do you tow
just asking these question because i tow my horse box ivor williams 505 with a section d in it. i got a t5 t32 2.5 kombi pulls this box no problem.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi, Jundie, thanks for reply.
Horse is 16'2 irish sports horse (so the other half tells me!?!)
The box will be exactly what you have, towing distance could be anything up to 60-100 miles i guess.
I'm veering toward 2.5's for that extra grunt, have just been a little worried about cetain reliability issues:(
Spied one with 89000 fsh 2.5 174bhp for 9k? dont know if may be I should be aiming for lower miles?:confused:

·
Registered
2,715 Posts
Hi, I've got a converted LWB 2.5 130 (T30) for sale with a tow bar. It has 90K on the clock but drives like a dream. We had to replace the turbo due to sticky vanes but aside from that she's been great.
Linky in my signature.

Cheers,
JonT:

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
174 for sure................................. just don't drive it like your entering the Dakar rally. Loads of umph T: What year is the one you've spied, remember 30K+ per year is considered average for a van, depending on it's use, with FSH at least you know it's been looked after regularly. Engine should just be loosening up at that mileage.

·
Registered
7,548 Posts
The 2.5 will be far better than a 1.9 for towing - horesboxes (especially Ifor Williams ones, in fact any Ifor Williams trailer as they are built to last) & the brutes that go in them are heavy.

Certainly the 2.5 can suffer from problems, but you only really hear about the problem ones - when was the last time someone started a post saying "my ****** is running fine & I never have any problems with it" ?

Millage is no problem for any of these engines 1.9 or 2.5, either of them can actually suffer problems at any millage - thing is I've never heard of one actually wearing out.........

1 - 13 of 13 Posts