VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Morning all, and thanks for reading.
I am looking to purchase a T5 I'm viewing 2 this weekend an 2008 1.9tdi service history and 96000 miles 5 speed and 2011 .2.0 tdi service history and 136000, 6 speed, any advice.
Looking for day van, carry MTB, and used for work doing home visits, so it won't have hard life
Thanks again

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Is the 6 speed 5.1 a 140 or a 180 ? If its a 180 i wouldn't touch it (y)
Go on the condition of the van overall otherwise
Good luck bud

·
Registered
7,998 Posts
Like Stu says if its a 180 i wouldn't even view it . If its a 140 then this would be my favourite out of the 2 (on paper) but it would all be down to the condition of them .

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
the T5.1, the extra miles are nothing, the facelift is a newer, better van with a better engine. chances are it won't be a 180

any differences in specs?

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Got 150 bhp out of my pd no problem and no water cooled egr and no dpf at all (y)
But as ive said already condition is king

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
Got 150 bhp out of my pd no problem and no water cooled egr and no dpf at all (y)
But as ive said already condition is king
I have an EGR still and the cabin heats up quicker and it hasn't cased any problems, and I have no DPF either and nearly 180hp. any 2.0CR engine will remap upto more than a 1.9PD
just dug out the dyno print out to check the figures and the torque curve looks so much smoother than a PD, the PD's just have a massive kick low down that shreds tyres and destroy clutches.
don't get me wrong they are decent enough, I owned one for 5 years and I'm sure I would have told you back then it was the best diesel engine about, but then a newer, better one came out which is common rail

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well they don't sound as tractor like for one, and common rail is just a better system. easier to tune. it's the future.

looks like a no brainer here, go for the face lift. whats the price difference?
2011 2.0 model £8000
2008 1.9 model £6500

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
the T5.1, the extra miles are nothing, the facelift is a newer, better van with a better engine. chances are it won't be a 180

any differences in specs?
Extra miles... it’s amusing reading posts on the T5 side, my T4 2.5 Tdi will hit the equivalent of 200,000 miles this summer, apart from maintenece for belts, oil leaks clutch etc it’s never been touched, even original injectors, doesn't smoke, use oil, decat’d EGR off & blanked, it’s just getting going, it’s not lightly used we spend a lot of time in the Alps, Dolomites, Tyrol, it’s heavy a 2000 Cali, weighed it this week, 2,700 kg ready to go, full tanks and gear.

I think VW lost the plot on engines

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Already hit 187k in a 1.9 pd t5 original turbo injectors gearbox etc despite being mapped up an extra 50%on power for last 9 years ao not all doom and gloom and my 1956 split has probably hit best part of a million miles by now although i definitely know the 12v twin port 1600 isnt original 😁

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Both have service hi, blue one recent clutch viewing this one in morning
Black one service history but no recent clutch, drove really nicely but few scratches around bodywork, rear bumper orange peel on paintwork
Service history? Overall condition? Extras? Lots to consider
Which one did you like ?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
After viewing the blue one this morning, overall condition of van very good, drives far better than 1.9, no cosmetic Mark's, 2 owners from new, both used around town for small handyman jobs,
Rear of van not greatest of jobs with carpeting but all in all a very tidy van,
So have gone for blue 2011 model, T5.1 2.0 ltr engine
Thanks for all your help, I'll prob be asking more in coming months regards bits and bobs 😀

1 - 20 of 24 Posts