VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

I am looking into the various options for cookers in my van conversion. I am designing the unit so that the cooker sits in a type of sliding draw that will pull out the back of the rear side unit below the open tailgate. Our main reason for this is to avoid doing all the cooking inside the van for various reasons including condensation etc.

My obvious thought would be to use a reasonably price gas stove/hob that will slide out and be attached to a gas cylinder inside. Obviously, gas cylinders and refills arent cheap and also we don't have any additional ventilation added within the van which we originally bought as a standard panel t4 van, so slightly concerned about possible gas leaks inside, when sleeping?

Another thought i had was to use an alcohol/meths based stove as on boats, i understand that these are slower, not to concerned by that and would have to 'wind proof' it more that a gas cooker, but obviously it would be a lot cheaper to run.

Any one have any thoughts on this, basically just after a simple, safe solution as we wont be doing huge amounts of cooking anyway.

Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
3,716 Posts
whichever you can live with really

meths is quaint, gas is practical and clean - a spill of meths will smell for ages !!

the 4.5kg gas cylinders will last for a couple of years at least, and in the end you'll get your bottle deposit money back !!!

·
Registered
467 Posts
Hi,

A couple of options for you.

We have an Amdro Conversion which comes with a Origo 3000 alcohol stove which I am yet to use but is very compact and does not need a gas canister plumbing in.

I have a friend who showed me a very neat LPG container which he was able to fill up with LPG at a garage. I'll try and find out more. I was never happy with traditional gas in our van. The fact that you are supposed to have fixed piping attached to the vehicle and have it in a sealed box was something I eventually figured out but was always nervous about.

Happy decision making.

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
one small point.

A gas bottle takes up room. Especially with the proper cupboard and ventilation etc. An alcohol cooker is an enclosed unit and you only need a spare bottle of meths to keep it topped up.

The only other thing is that I would say that gas is probably quicker to boil a full kettle

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi,

A couple of options for you.

We have an Amdro Conversion which comes with a Origo 3000 alcohol stove which I am yet to use but is very compact and does not need a gas canister plumbing in.

I have a friend who showed me a very neat LPG container which he was able to fill up with LPG at a garage. I'll try and find out more. I was never happy with traditional gas in our van. The fact that you are supposed to have fixed piping attached to the vehicle and have it in a sealed box was something I eventually figured out but was always nervous about.

Happy decision making.
Hi, I just saw an LPG one in a camper shop and definitely looked pretty neat and the fuel container was sealed and removable for travel purposes, if you could find out any more that would be fantastic, thanks! I have seen the Amdro containers a while back which gave me the inspiration to design a slide out cooker, but not as large as that, are you pleased with it?

·
Registered
42 Posts
The wife and I have the Amdro conversion in our berlingo. We also brought the alcohol stove which I have to say is very good. It doesn't seem to take long to heat food, water etc, but could do with a small windbreak to help protect the un-pressurised flame. When we eventually find our vw, we plan to keep using the alcohol stove with it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts