VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need to top mine up, does anyone know the correct type/rating for a 2.5tdi ExAA?
Cheers :)

·
Registered
372 Posts
go into halfords and look it up in the little data books they have on the shelves. or go to your automotive dealer and they'll ask for your registration and tell you from that. or its 10-40 part synthetic, but please double check as i could still be wrong. same boat as i have no log book.

i think the sump capacity is 5.5 litres and don't quote me on that, but would be annoying to top it up and be half a litre under and have to go and get more.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Isnt the oil type on a plate/sticker on the bodywork in the engine area somewhere - or in the manual?
IIRC its 5.5 litres of oil for a change.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Need to top mine up, does anyone know the correct type/rating for a 2.5tdi ExAA?
Cheers :)

I ran halfords 10w40 for 1000miles to flush out old stuff then put in vw spec pump diesel oil. VW spares dept or decent independant VW garage
More expensive but i feel all the better knowing its doing what it says on the tin!

·
Registered
133 Posts
depends on year of van a good 10/40 semi synthetic oil will be good enough, but later vans 03/04 onwards seem better with vw pd oil, dearer but does make a differenceT:
oh and we always put engine flush in our motors every service before we drain it, does clean it and get rid of crud

·
Registered
548 Posts
The only one i have found outside the dealer oil to be to the right spec is this. Morris Multilife 5W/30 Fully Synthetic.
"Multilife 5W/30 may also be used against VW 503.00/503.01/506.00/506.01 standards, but only for fixed service intervals (Note: Should not be used in pre-2000 model year VAG vehicles)."

·
Registered
565 Posts
The only one i have found outside the dealer oil to be to the right spec is this. Morris Multilife 5W/30 Fully Synthetic.
"Multilife 5W/30 may also be used against VW 503.00/503.01/506.00/506.01 standards, but only for fixed service intervals (Note: Should not be used in pre-2000 model year VAG vehicles)."
I'm with you on this one mate,

This is the only oil I have found to meet the 506.00 spec for my 2.5 TDI,

Been running mine on it for nearly 20,000 miles now, No problems T:, Tis a bit dear though :(

·
Registered
25 Posts
Why is it a different oil in pre 2000 engines?? I have a 2000 reg 2.5tdi 88 bhp and changed the oil an put 3/30 full in as was told by a motor shop?? If its the wrong oil would it explain an annoying tapping noise i now have??? cheers

1 - 11 of 11 Posts